"Great" Albums you just don't "get"?
Oct 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #91 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can agree with that for his early stuff, but now, his voice is just awful.

Well... yeah.

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #92 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't seem to get Horses by Patti Smith. No matter how many times I listen to it, I don't hear what I know other people hear. I wish I felt differently.

I hate to write this to you of all people, but that's exactly how Mahler makes me feel
redface.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #94 of 239
Jeff Buckley with 'Grace'.
Just can't understand why this is such a great album. The singing annoys me, the songs are not that special IMO.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #96 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to write this to you of all people, but that's exactly how Mahler makes me feel
redface.gif

That's OK.......it took me a long time to love Mahler as I do now, but even if you never do.......I can understand why people would not love his music.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #97 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's OK.......it took me a long time to love Mahler as I do now, but even if you never do.......I can understand why people would not love his music.

Interesting... particularly considering I'm about to listen to my first Mahler
k701smile.gif

mahler7masinfonia.jpg

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #99 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude - you know I love you and respect you but seriously - SERIOUSLY - I have a very open mind regarding all things music and I still don't "get" Radiohead.

I think we're on the same side of the argument here. Actually, I wasn't arguing one way or another.

Maybe my earlier post wasn't clear, but what I was trying to say is I like Radiohead, but I don't think people who don't like them are close minded or don't have sophisticated tastes in music. You either dig something or you don't. It doesn't mean anything deeper than that.

I was just, in addition, pointing out that I think a lot of their so-called fans don't actually truly enjoy them, but feel pressured to like them or put on a front that they do because Radiohead is supposed to be "good". And it goes the other way that there are some people that hate them because they don't want to feel like a lemming following the majority (or want to feel that they're better/smarter than the majority) and/or rock critics.

Radiohead is the most critically acclaimed rock band of this generation so it's very difficult to listen to any of their music now without some sort of prejudice (positive or negative). That's what I meant by the time machine bit.

Quote:

After listening to all their albums I can honestly say that I just can't "get into" them. I certainly don't hate them or anything but I just don't consider them great musicians.

Cool.
smile.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #100 of 239
I'm with the group of people who haven't gotten Radiohead yet, but to be honest I haven't yet invested the necessary time. I have all the albums, but don't think I've listened to one all the way through yet. Keep telling myself I'll get around to it.

+1 on Pet Sounds.

+1 on A Love Supreme. Moderate fan of Giant Steps fan, I like Blue Train more.

The Clash, both Combat Rock and London Calling, don't do anything for me.

Diana Krall. I have The Girl in the Other Room, Live in Paris and Christmas Songs. I really like jazz, but whenever I listen to her I think maybe vocal jazz is not for me.

Solo John Lennon. Yuck.

Nirvana. Nevermind is okay, but I have a hard time listening to In Utero and Unplugged.

Used to have a hard time on Phish but I think I've finally cracked that nut.

Ok sorry for the list haha. Just did a quick runthrough of my iTunes, clearly.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #101 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What/Who do you consider great contemporary musicians?

Brain Wilson, Wynton Marsalis, Michael Buble, Jacintha, Bebo Valdes, Chucho Valdes, Eliane Elias, Chano Dominguez, Thomas Hengelbrock, Victor Wooten, Wu Tan Clan, Gottfried von der Goltz, The White Stripes, etc etc. I can go on and on but there are many I consider great.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #102 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nirvana. Nevermind is okay, but I have a hard time listening to In Utero and Unplugged.

I'm not a big Nirvana fan either, but listen to Bleach, the album before Nevermind.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #103 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is going to sound crazy but, I have to say Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. I much prefer their other albums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't sound crazy at all
regular_smile .gif

exactly, it's what this thread is all about.

so what if you don;t get DSotM - only a few million people bought it and there are 6 billion of us on this rock

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #105 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If any Radiohead fans are still reading this thread, what way would you recommend to "get into" them? Usually, I'll listen to a record and a few or more songs will grab me and beg for repeat play. I'll listen to those and they'll act as sort of a key to unlock the rest of an album. Once I tune into a group, their other records usually fall in line and open up. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that'show it works for me.

My problem with Radiohead is that nothing gains any traction. I don't hate it, but nothing comes up as a hook. What gives? Where do you start? Are there other bands that might help you into the right frame of mind?

So, are there any hooks in Radiohead? If so, where do you find them?

The beauty of RH is there are no hooks. There is no form and it is somewhat 'un-musical' as Userlander put it. You never know what RadioHead will put out for an album because every track is seemingly randomly unrelated.

Listening to RH is more about feeling the harmony, time signature changes, tempo swings and style changes. I think of RH albums as 1 big song with lots of variation. Going from slow piano and electric guitar in Sail to the Moon (Hail to the Thief) to heavy electronic warbling effects the very next song (Backdrifts) then to a folky styled acoustic guitar more traditional song (Go to Sleep) is a prime example. The saying goes that variety is the spice of life and that is exactly what you get with RH.

As a late adopter of RH I had a friend who used to play OK Computer and Amnesiac occasionally on a poor radio at work and I never could understand it, much like you guys are talking about. I then picked up the newest album of theirs, Hail to the Thief, and gave it a listen at home with a decent setup and wasn't quite sure what I'd just heard after it finishing. I played it again a few times the next day and I started enjoying the randomness and crazy effects they do, yet still reasonably musical. Many regard Hail to the Thief one of their poorer albums, but it was my first one, so it will remain one of my tops.

After I'd gotten used to Hail to the Thief I went out and bought virtually their discography. I now love almost all of their albums, but Pablo Honey and The Bends don't work as well for me. As bad a rap as In Rainbows gets I prefer it over both of those.

Think of Radiohead as a musically minimalist rock band and you start to see why people like it or hate it. Many of their songs are repeated segments with slight variations or instruments added/removed. We Suck Young Blood (HttT album) is a perfect example of this.

If you insist on hooks, the best examples I can give you are as follows:

Hail to the Thief

There There - Nice groove, musical, experimental but fairly normal alternative.

Sail to the Moon - Astounding beauty. Slow and relaxing. One of my favorites.

Where I End and You Begin - One of their simpler constructed songs, but good groove and more mainstream sounding.

Amnesiac

I Might Be Wrong - This song is RH greatness. Great layering complexity while sounding simple.

Knives Out - Mainstream rock sound, but has that RH signature. Simple song really, but easily enjoyable. (If you like this song check Dollars and Cents 2 songs later, very similar)

Life in a Glass House - Is that brass and woodwinds I hear? Yes. This song isn't the greatest out there, but it shows the versatility of the RH house sound. Jazz lovers may be interested in this song for entry into RH, but most of RH doesn't sound quite like this.

OK Computer (Jeeze.. Where to begin!!)

Airbag - I always think I'm floating when I listen to this song. Quite complex, immerses you in with interesting effects, cool beat patterns and many counter harmonies all at once.

Paranoid Android - As much as I love this song, I don't see it as the holy grail everyone else does. Deserves mention because it could be good for entry, but ymmv.

Subterranean Homesick Alien - This, for me, is the holy grail of RH. Very funny lyrics, cool effects, decently complex, and great music. This song even has the U2 style high guitar repeated notes in crescendo. The warbling bell type sounds are great also. This is the ONLY RH song I ever single out to listen to. Everything else is listened to as a full album.

Karma Police - Thankfully this song quickly moves away from the boringly traditional beginning and switches to classic RH. Great lyrics and musical styling.

Electioneering - Purely for the excellent guitars! Not that any of the guitar work is particularly demanding, but this stuff just rocks.

In Rainbows

15 Step - Up tempo, lots of little effects scattered everywhere. I love it.

They key with RH is not to focus on anything, but rather to enjoy the mixing of effects, sound of the voice, with the 'musicality' being quite a bit less important. The RH genious is there if you let yourself find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back