Grattle driving me nuts
Nov 18, 2004 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Stoich

New Head-Fier
I have the Grado SR-60s and while I enjoy the sound and the comfort is fine after bending the head band they keep picking up that annoying 'grattle'. Now usually it's pretty easy to correct either by readjusting the foam pads, cleaning out lint, or sucking on the sides to remove any creases.

Inevitabley though it does not take long for it to come back. I don't think it helps I live in a house with a couple cats that shed pretty bad so there's always lots of hair embedding in the pads.

Is there some kind of fix I might be overlooking? At any rate, I'm thinking I'll probably have to buy some different headphones.

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

sucking on the sides to remove any creases

basshead.gif
blink.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Blow hard threw the grill on them and see if that works.

Biggie.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 11
I wouldn't recommend blowing through the grill since you might get moisture in the voice coils of the drivers and cause corrostion/oxidation. You can always use tape and carfully remove the creases like that. Or how I do it, is take the whole driver out and use a needle from behind and gently "push" the crease from the inside of the drive until it pops into place.
After your done be sure to gently strech the diaphram by heating it with a blow dryer...or else the creases will return.
Hope that helps yeah

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 11
IMO blowing anything on the headphone is a good way to mess up the coils and damage them permanently. I speak from much experience unfortunately. However, gently liftiing the creases with weak masking tape does work well.

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 11
And opening them up would void the warrenty on them I'm sure.
rolleyes.gif

I think you guys are blowing things out of porportion a bit heh. Like blowing on the back for a few seconds is worse then wearing them outside on a moist day.

Biggie.

Nov 19, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by d00dz
I wouldn't recommend blowing through the grill since you might get moisture in the voice coils of the drivers and cause corrostion/oxidation. You can always use tape and carfully remove the creases like that. Or how I do it, is take the whole driver out and use a needle from behind and gently "push" the crease from the inside of the drive until it pops into place.
After your done be sure to gently strech the diaphram by heating it with a blow dryer...or else the creases will return.
Hope that helps yeah

How does the corrostion/oxidation of the voice coils affect the sounds? I'm a bit worried about it cause I got my SR60 second hand and it sounds muddy compare the SR60 I tested in the local shop
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zbwu
How does the corrostion/oxidation of the voice coils affect the sounds? I'm a bit worried about it cause I got my SR60 second hand and it sounds muddy compare the SR60 I tested in the local shop
frown.gif

Read this page with the part of The case of the unraveled voice coil
http://www.mondiale.co.uk/tpus/contr...io_entsep.html

It applies to regular speakers, i dunno what happends in headphone voice coils but it can be good either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back