Grateful Dead: Ultimate Garage Band?
Nov 7, 2001 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry, I just had to bump Britney (in part cause I lost my cool over her butt).

I was listening to a compliation MD I made of the Grateful Dead doing covers of other bands. Album cuts, bootleg MP3s or whatever, from the rough, freewheeling style with which they attack everything from Pink Floyd to the Beatles just has me thinking they were, in the end, the ultimate garage band. Half the time their covers suck - but I still love them. Off key, old Pig Pen bawling out "Hey Jude" might have some running for cover, but there is a certain charm about it and, to me, it's that classic garage band charm: "**** it, WE'RE havin' fun" And if you love the Dead, that's a big part of THE experience.

Well, now Beavisclone doesn't have to feel so bad about posting his love of Britney.I don't know if I've ever seen the Dead's name pop up here - or anyone admitting they were a fan. Did I make a mistake? Er, Backstreet Boys, anyone...

Nov 7, 2001 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 3
LOL, I just got the 12 disk set...remasters of all of their Warner Brothers albums with bonus material (I've already got the albums on CD and LP, but hey...) Also have all 22 Dick's Picks CD's and a box of tapes somewhere in the closet...in the early 70's a group of us used to make to most of their East Coast shows in a beat up VW bus (absolutely essential to the experience
wink.gif
)

I've also got all of their video releases, including the "Views from the Vault" DVD's. American Beauty just came out on DVD-A, and Workingman's Dead is following later this month...hmmm, and me stuck with a SACD player
eek.gif

Me, admit to being a Dead Head? No way!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back