Grateful Dead: suggestions from grateful me
Jun 7, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #16 of 21
If you are downloading some shows, which is a great place to get started, look for some from the golden era-1977. The mid to late 77 shows are amazing. 5/8/77 and 5/9/77 is some of the best Dead out there. For official releases, the Dick's Picks series is a great way to go. - Try volume 10. One from the vault and Two from the vault are really good too.

I'll also echo the recommendation for Europe '72. I love the second disc in particular and it ends with a killer "Morning Dew".

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #17 of 21
Download the SPAC show (Saratoga Springs Art Center) show from 1985. Some acid heads were hanging from the balcony defying death. Phil and Jerry scolded them. Don't know if they fell or not but Man, what a show! Hell in a Bucket baby! The SPAC shows are all memorable. We all knew Jerry wasn't going to make it. The last dead show I saw was in Miami in the early 90's. I said I gotta see these guys before Jerry died. It is not like it was a surprize. Luckily we have a multitude of soundboard and audience archives. Given the digital quality of some the tapers some of the audience tapes are as good as the soundboard, IMO. All that is missing is the drugs, but it was never really about that anyway. I think.

EDIT: I remember when I went to my first dead show in 1984 in Worchestor, MA. I didn't want to go. In my punk rock phase I was like, let the dead be dead. However, my friend promised me all the recreational material I could desire, and a free ticket. What could I say? No? I went and saw people dancing in the hall, dancing everywhere. My friend went down for a "nap" thought he was dying but he refused medical help. So I danced, what else could I do? I saw these crazy guys on stage playing the crowd and I went with the music. But even then I thought, this guy "Jerry" is not long for this world. I was a preppy deadhead from that day on.

Jun 7, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #18 of 21
Does anyone else have any suggestions for Dead shows to download. I downloaded a couple concerts today and I'd like to get a few more.

This is what I've downloaded so far:

1. Madison Square Garden 1979

2. Buffalo Memorial Auditorium May 9 1977

3. Old Renaissance Fairground Aug 22 1972

4. JFK Stadium June 10 1973

5. Barton Hall, Cornell University May 8 1977

6. Wembley Empire Pool April 8th, 1972

7. Dane County Coliseum February 15th, 1973

8. Swing Auditorium February 26th, 1977

9. Kezar Stadium May 26th, 1973

Any other suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif
Hirsh?

Jun 8, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #19 of 21
What is the sound quality of the shows you've downloaded? I've heard lots of bootlegs and some of them have phenominal sound qualities. Others sound muffled and almost unlistenable. I'd like to download some shows but I'm interested in having them sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back