Graphs vs Reality?: Fostex TH-900 vs V-Moda M-100
Apr 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

flipper2gv

100+ Head-Fier
Apr 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't think anyone that has TH900 would need to bother with a $300 headphones but maybe try the headphone or sound science section not a headphone amp section

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Yes, this is the wrong forum for the question.

I happen to own both headphones right now though, incidentally enough, and can say that the TH900 and M-100 sound fairly different from each other. The M-100 has a bloated bass in comparison, not as much treble quantity, isn't very clear-sounding, and has a very compacted soundstage.

I don't see those frequency graphs as being very similar, I guess it depends on what your definition of similar is. I'm not sure why anyone would be trying to compare the M-100 to the TH900 either, when they're separated by about $1700.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Actually, when I look at the graphs I se some key differences. first, the area on the FR from 4 to 7 kHz is totally different. The V moda has a huge dip then the rise at around 8 kHz. The TH900 is more even in this area.

Then there 's a big difference in the distortion numbers throughout the entire frequency range. The v moda distortion numbers at 90 dB are quite high - some of the higher values I've seen in Tyll's graphs.

Then there's a difference in the impulse response with the TH900 initial spike being much faster then the Vmoda.

I couldn't look at these charts and tell you much about things like soundstage but I could tell you they're both darkish, bass dominated headphones but that the TH900 has better quality reproduction and more even response.

edit: last thing: the vmoda clearly isolates better.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Actually, when I look at the graphs I se some key differences. first, the area on the FR from 4 to 7 kHz is totally different. The V moda has a huge dip then the rise at around 8 kHz. The TH900 is more even in this area.

Then there 's a big difference in the distortion numbers throughout the entire frequency range. The v moda distortion numbers at 90 dB are quite high - some of the higher values I've seen in Tyll's graphs.

Then there's a difference in the impulse response with the TH900 initial spike being much faster then the Vmoda.

I couldn't look at these charts and tell you much about things like soundstage but I could tell you they're both darkish, bass dominated headphones but that the TH900 has better quality reproduction and more even response.

edit: last thing: the vmoda clearly isolates better.

Thanks for the more in-depth analysis! I knew I was missing some stuff.

Quote:
Yes, this is the wrong forum for the question.

I happen to own both headphones right now though, incidentally enough, and can say that the TH900 and M-100 sound fairly different from each other. The M-100 has a bloated bass in comparison, not as much treble quantity, isn't very clear-sounding, and has a very compacted soundstage.

I don't see those frequency graphs as being very similar, I guess it depends on what your definition of similar is. I'm not sure why anyone would be trying to compare the M-100 to the TH900 either, when they're separated by about $1700.

Thanks to you too for the answer, really appreciated!

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 7
I don't think the TH-900 are particularly dark sounding though. The frequency range around 1KHz is not particularly prominent and above 10KHz, there is still sparkle.

I think that a relatively high presence of sound around 1KHz is what might some headphones sound dark. (Not too sure about that because EQing the 1KHz region up didn't seem to make the TH-900 sound dark.) Overall, I think the sound of the TH-900 is quite balanced. In my opinion, the soundstage is large enough that the bass is rarely overbearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back