Graphics card as sound card?
Jul 3, 2008 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Libertad

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a ATI 3870 and have read that it can do surround sound through HDMI and i still have the adaptor but am clules as to what to get or what to do so this word. I'd love to give it a try because i have a feeling it will most likely sound better than my onbard audio and its a feature id like to use. If anyone can help that would be great the thought of using this as a sound output will same me some buck if it does indeed sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 3
I believe its output is LPCM over HDMI, so you'd need a reciever that decodes HDMI audio. I may try when I get my 4850, but I doubt ir would sound much better than a cheapish add in spdif card, like an AV-710, to a dac/reciever.

I think it's mainly for home theater use to be honest, rather than critical listening

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe its output is LPCM over HDMI, so you'd need a reciever that decodes HDMI audio. I may try when I get my 4850, but I doubt ir would sound much better than a cheapish add in spdif card, like an AV-710, to a dac/reciever.

I think it's mainly for home theater use to be honest, rather than critical listening

Hmmm well do you know of a good DAC/HDMI reciever that i can use it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back