Graphical Chaintech AV-710 setup guide
Jul 11, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #46 of 205
I did ab blind tests on kernel streaming vs direct sound and foobar vs winamp.
I used mp3s, cds, and two hdcds to conduct my test. I also tried using resampling plugins in both winamp and foobar.

I've come to the conclusion that kernel streaming is no better sounding than direct sound / wave out. Even though going through kmixer theoretically reduces the quality, I couldn't hear it. I've also come to the conclusion that foobar is no better sounding than winamp, although it is more configurable.

My last conclusion is that resampling plugins don't seem to affect the music. Either because the card automatically resamples to 96kHz when in hi-rez mode, or the resampling plugin works and just doesn't make an audible difference to me.

Anyway, I am back to using winamp/direct sound... Why? Well, I use winamp over foobar because I love the gui (I have it at minimal size with the Nucleo Nlog skin) and because it integrates better with my logitech elite keyboard. I use direct sound over kernel streaming so I can play games and listen to music at the same time. Kernel streaming, when it is implemented correctly (according to microsoft's documents on kernel streaming) , only allows one program to play sounds at once.

Sincerely,
Lizzardfire

BTW, the Chaintech is definitely a sound improvement over my onboard SoundStorm audio
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #48 of 205
After extensive testing I just wanted to comment that to my ears atleast ASIO is the best way to go for this card, it seems to give you a lot more crisp mids and highs as the rest seem to have a little too much bass.

Also wanted to move Earwaxs suggestions to this thread as they are definantly the top 3 options, and I think people will look at this thread before the other when setting up their card. Granted your ears may be different as to what you prefer as mine are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
1st. - Waveout - 2 chan-hi-res - 24 bit padded to 32 - no software resampling
2nd. - ASIO4all - 2 channel (but still using the hi-res speaker #7&8 jack) - 24 bit padded to 32 - no software resampling
3rd. - Kernal streaming or ASIO - 2 chan hi-res - 24 padded to 32 - SSRC resampling to 96k ]

t/y Earwax for trying out the different settings and posting them.

Jul 13, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #49 of 205
Just a heads up. As I believe I reported earlier, i had an odd occurrence with the line out connection - one day it was outputting 2 channel high sample rate, and the next it wasn't. When i moved the adapter to the left most connection on the soundcard (if you're in back of the computer, otherwise, when you're at the computer, the right-most), things worked fine.

Jul 13, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #50 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzardfire
I did ab blind tests on kernel streaming vs direct sound and foobar vs winamp.
I used mp3s, cds, and two hdcds to conduct my test. I also tried using resampling plugins in both winamp and foobar.

I've come to the conclusion that kernel streaming is no better sounding than direct sound / wave out. Even though going through kmixer theoretically reduces the quality, I couldn't hear it.

BTW, the Chaintech is definitely a sound improvement over my onboard SoundStorm audio
smily_headphones1.gif

I arrived at the same conclusion a while back. I think with the crap electrolytics for output coupling caps, it's kinda moot whether or not you're using KS, but then my testing was limited to high-quality MP3s as that's 95% what I listen to. The problems with kernel streaming just weren't worth it (I like actually hearing a bleep when I click on the wrong thing in another program). Adding an RS-1 into the mix added a helluva lot more baseline distortion than DirectSound™.

And yes, this is a major improvement over onboard sound
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #51 of 205
Try ASIO
icon10.gif

could just be my ears though, it sounds completely different then directsound and awavout to me atleast with the bass being a lot more tight and mid's and high's being a lot more defined.

Jul 14, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #52 of 205
Is there a setup guide or anything similar that walks people through how to best set up this card for use with the analog outputs only? I just bought 2 for use with my HTPC and main computer, but don't have digital inputs on anything. I am far from an audiophile and don't have top notch equipment, but I do want good sound.

Jul 16, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #54 of 205
the only recommendation I have for the setup guide is to disable the replaygain setting.
I have found that the bass and treble response improved noticeably when running the anlog out signal to my amp.
i would advise people to give it a try.
It definitely worked for me.

Jul 16, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #55 of 205
Well, I installed my new AV-710, hooked up my CMOY to "Alt Out" and configured both my soundcard and Foobar according to this guide and all I can say is WOW! What an improvement over my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. When I first got my SR-80's a couple of weeks ago I was, frankly, a little disappointed. Highs and mids were great (although a bit bright on some music) but there was no bass. Not only that, but they were just as uncomfortable as everyone said they were. I got some of the Sennheiser pads and they really helped the comfort and they added some bass but the sound in general was still a little unsatisfying. But not anymore! It is a totally different experience with the Chaintech AV-710. There is more detail to the music, the highs are smoother and the bass is deeper. By far the best $23.50 I've ever spent.
eggosmile.gif

Now, that being said, I have a concern. I am by no means a seasoned audiophile, but I can't discern any difference between the four different output options. Should there be a dramatic difference and I'm just doing something wrong in Foobar or are there circumstances that would cause them all to sound the same?
confused.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #56 of 205
If you can't detect any differences then don't worry. They're very subtle and I wouldn't be surprised if you had to do hours of A/B testing on high end equipment to tell the difference. Just go with whatever works best for you.

Jul 16, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #57 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Now, that being said, I have a concern. I am by no means a seasoned audiophile, but I can't discern any difference between the four different output options. Should there be a dramatic difference and I'm just doing something wrong in Foobar or are there circumstances that would cause them all to sound the same?
confused.gif

There should be no dramatic difference. I remember that someone from these boards couldn't tell the difference in blind test. Someone with very good hearing might spot some difference though.

Also I remember that Kmixer (used with waveOut & Directsound, bypassed by Kernel Streaming & ASIO) mangles with the upper 1 or 2 bits resulting in inferior dynamic range (by a few dB), but I saw some RMAA graphs comparing Kmixer / no Kmixer at 16bit and 24bit (with digital i/o). In both 16/24 modes there was a loss of dynamic range, but because in 24bit mode the theoretical dynamic range is so high it doesn't matter (with Kmixer it was still significantly higher than the ~120dB limit in analog side). I'm not sure of this is right, but if Foobar is used in 24bit (/padded to 32bit) output mode it shouldn't matter.

BTW, congratulations on your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #58 of 205
Thanks for the input guys. It's good to know that it isn't just me that can't tell the difference. However, if there is truely no audible difference then why use Kernel Streaming? It is an incredible resource hog. Also, I seem to remember that in the ASIO details screen, the option window at the top is empty. What are you supposed to be able to select there? Also, also, I hooked my computer speakers up to "line out" but am not getting any sound out of them. I tried switching to regular 2-channel mode but still got nothing.

Thanks again!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #59 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Thanks for the input guys. It's good to know that it isn't just me that can't tell the difference. However, if there is truely no audible difference then why use Kernel Streaming? It is an incredible resource hog. Also, I seem to remember that in the ASIO details screen, the option window at the top is empty. What are you supposed to be able to select there? Also, also, I hooked my computer speakers up to "line out" but am not getting any sound out of them. I tried switching to regular 2-channel mode but still got nothing.

Thanks again!
eggosmile.gif

When you upgrade your amp, you will understand the difference.
Until then , enjoy the music and have fun
icon10.gif

cheers
Kunwar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back