Graphical Chaintech AV-710 setup guide
Sep 18, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #91 of 205
Hey, I'm going to be using an AV-710 with my headphone amp. Will the settings you described with the DAC also work for me?

Sep 19, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #93 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
ERROR (foo_out_ks) : KS output error: error opening device.

I had the exact same problem with this card using this setup guide and foobar2000. It took me a while, but I finally figured out what is wrong. Whenever you don't get sound or at least get the error above, check that the Envy24 Audio Deck program is running in the tray. The is the one that installs with the drivers (I'm using 1.43d drivers).

I easily overlooked this because I thought that once the settings were in place the program wouldn't really need to run. Hopefully this helps you get get back on track with the settings you want to play your music at.

Sep 19, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #94 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by takuto
I had the exact same problem with this card using this setup guide and foobar2000. It took me a while, but I finally figured out what is wrong. Whenever you don't get sound or at least get the error above, check that the Envy24 Audio Deck program is running in the tray. The is the one that installs with the drivers (I'm using 1.43d drivers).

I easily overlooked this because I thought that once the settings were in place the program wouldn't really need to run. Hopefully this helps you get get back on track with the settings you want to play your music at.

That wasn't my problem, I don't know what was, but hopefully it helps someone else
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #95 of 205
I'm just looking for confirmation for the jumper setup.

Whether or not you're using an headphone amp, should the jumpers just be left at default for optimum performance?

thanks

Oct 8, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #96 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by primus
I'm just looking for confirmation for the jumper setup.

Whether or not you're using an headphone amp, should the jumpers just be left at default for optimum performance?

thanks

If you are using the alternate output it does not matter what position the jumpers are in since they only affect the front output. If you are using the front output then the jumpers should be switched to make the output a line out. You should probably be using the alternate output.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #97 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
If you are using the alternate output it does not matter what position the jumpers are in since they only affect the front output. If you are using the front output then the jumpers should be switched to make the output a line out. You should probably be using the alternate output.

Yes that's the one I'm using... to get the High Quality Mode to work yes?

So even when running an amp, I should just use that port with whatever jumper configuration it is on.

For headphones, isn't the alternate out the output of choice anyway? If that is the case, why are there a lot of people on here talking about swapping jumpers here and jumpers there?

Thanks again.

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #98 of 205
Thank you for a nice and clean setup guide. Following the instructions made my Hi-sample mode w/ KS work the first time.

Now to the problem
icon10.gif
:
Even though I immediately liked the clarity of the sound through my midrange price Senns I noticed that the sound tends to get 'too crispy' (not sure how to describe it better) to the point that some subtle clicks can be heard. The clicks seem to be audible only if the volume is fairly high.

Now you will probably want to say 'doh, if you keep turning up the volume you'll reach some kind of distortion sooner or later', but I know that this doesn't happen with DirectSound output even at higher volume levels. And I know it isn't the Senns either. Have I reached that kind of transport quality that my lossless sources are becoming the weak link? nah, don't think so either. So my best shot at this would be that there's something fishy with the KS plugin itself or the 3.10 drivers, or both not being able to communicate properly.

Is this something that anybody here can relate to or am I the only one? Would love to hear some feedback on this one, TIA

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #101 of 205
I think you'd benefit from using an amp, because then you wouldn't have to turn it up so loud. A small, cheap amp would do. The 710 shouldn't be clicking even at higher volumes though, maybe Mr Radar has some ideas on this. I never turned mine up loud, but my A900s aren't as hard to drive as your 595s so I didn't need to.

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #104 of 205
The plugs are in correctly.

I've sold all of my headphones due to self inflicted ear damage from canal-phones.

EDIT : Actully my ears have become more sensitive now, I can't endure 80+ dB for over 10-20 seconds and this was where the fun started for me before, but I now hear more detail and have a higher frequency range then before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back