Granite Audio HP Amp?
Apr 23, 2006 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

russedelic

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Does anybody know of the Granite Audio 823 headphone amp? I was checking one out on an audiogon auction, and it looks beautiful. Retails for almost 1K, and uses two 6BQ5 and one 12AU7 tubes. I ended up calling Granite Audio, and they told me the amp is fantastic. I'm tempted, but I'd like to know if anybody has one or has heard one.

Thanks,
russedelic

Apr 23, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, you diden't expect Granite Audio to say "it sounds like crap", did you? The amp has been around for quite awhile. People here have seen nothing notible on the amp. A similar, cheaper alternative would be the the Woo3, or better yet a Maple Tree Ear+HD and best ever choice would be a Eddie Current EC 01. The amps mentioned are all in the $450 to $640 price range.
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
Well, you diden't expect Granite Audio to say "it sounds like crap", did you? The amp has been around for quite awhile. People here have seen nothing notible on the amp. A similar, cheaper alternative would be the the Woo3, or better yet a Maple Tree Ear+HD and best ever choice would be a Eddie Current EC 01. The amps mentioned are all in the $450 to $640 price range.
tongue.gif

It depends on the cans, the EC-01 will not work with low impedence cans unless you buy the adapter for an additional +/-$200. Personally if you have Grado's I say get the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 7
I didn't expect him to say they sucked. Actually I had a long chat with a guy at Granite about their specs (S/N ratio, THD), tube choices, etc. He went into a lot of detail about the quality both of their components and their sound. In other words, no snow job, but pretty interesting information. These amps also look like a million bucks. I'm still dangling, but thanks so far for the input.

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
It depends on the cans, the EC-01 will not work with low impedence cans unless you buy the adapter for an additional +/-$200. Personally if you have Grado's I say get the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD.

Eddie Current has a niffty adaptor for that and you can use it on any "Grado impaired amp".
Quote:

Originally Posted by russedelic
I didn't expect him to say they sucked. Actually I had a long chat with a guy at Granite about their specs (S/N ratio, THD), tube choices, etc. He went into a lot of detail about the quality both of their components and their sound. In other words, no snow job, but pretty interesting information. These amps also look like a million bucks. I'm still dangling, but thanks so far for the input.

I understand. But thoughts from people here have be labled as "unexciting".
As far as specs go, are you buying a flat line on an ocilliscope or good sound. Many here have witnessed hearing great products with so-so specs. And also have heard many products with great specs and did not care for them. This is why "HeadFi meets" have become so popular. If you can hear it at a meet it is more reasuring. This all is just a thought though. Happy Amp hunting.
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 7
I appreciate your input. In fact, I can't wait to go to my first meet! I live near Detroit, so I'll be checking for something. Also, my daughter lives in Chicago, and I'm always looking for excuses to visit her.

russedelic

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
Eddie Current has a niffty adaptor for that and you can use it on any "Grado impaired amp".

Indeed, but it costs almost as much as the EC-01! At $299 the EC/DC downconverter brings the cost of the Eddie Current solution up to $548 for us poor folks who own low impedence cans. It's too bad, because with a price tag of $349 I was seriously considering the EC-01. It's a screamin' deal, as long as you don't own Grados.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back