Gram Parsons thread...
Feb 18, 2005 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
OK, so he was a rich boy slumming his way through the rock 'n roll underbelly of the late '60's/early '70s. So he drove up to his band's gigs in a limo, when they were still playing dives... So he died from an over-dose like so many other rock stars of the time. So he was one of the first to combine country music with rock...

None of those things support him necessarily as a great voice of rock 'n roll, instead, they might disqualify him in some quarters. Yet he still managed to produce quite a body of work.

I just got my hands on the Rhino remastered 2 CD set "The Gram Parsons Anthology", remastered by the usual Rhino suspects--Bill Inglot & Dan Hersch, which means it sounds GREAT!

This 2001 set has all you'd really ever want from him. There's a movie in the works about his life, you can still be there on the ground floor before it comes out. This set is really GREAT!

P.S. Trawlerman, I know you are a big Gram Parsons fan, but have you heard the new Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) song: the Trawlerman’s Song? This is on his latest, Shangri-La, it made me think of you... Anyway, thumbs up on this set!

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 8
I love Gram Parsons.

I highly recommend the Flying Burrito Brothers Sin City album. It is a best of but has some great GP stuff on it. I also highly recommend Return of the Grievous Angel: A Tribute to Gram Parsons. This is a tribute album (obviously) by some of the best alt. country stars of today. Another great album if you love Gram Parsons.

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I just got my hands on the Rhino remastered 2 CD set "The Gram Parsons Anthology", remastered by the usual Rhino suspects--Bill Inglot & Dan Hersch, which means it sounds GREAT!

This 2001 set has all you'd really ever want from him.

P.S. Trawlerman, I know you are a big Gram Parsons fan,

It was Trawlerman's avatar that I spotted in a music store way back when, that led to the investigation that had me purchase and like very, very much 'Gp/Grievous Angel'.

B000002LKH.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The sound quality/CD mastering was always a source of disappointment (it's hideous) and frankly has had 'Gp/Grievous Angel' neglected, underplayed, put aside and forgotten to some extent.

"The Gram Parsons Anthology" is now at the top of my shopping list.
Thanks for the reminder markl.
cool.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Hi eyeteeth, given that Inglot/Hersch are some of the most respected and experienced names in mastering, this really represents about as good as this stuff can sound. Please let us know what you think when it arrives...

Mark

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion Zion
image.php

That El Rayo-X is a fun album
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, gotta agree with Yaboosh, that Return of the Grievous Angel is a great tribute album. We talked about it before around here but it bears repeating. Not the greatest sonics because of the high amount of compression, but Whiskeytown does a killer job on "A Song for You". Haven't heard the anthology but nice to know they did a good job. I think the only one I have on CD is that twofer, but lots on vinyl.

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Hi eyeteeth, given that Inglot/Hersch are some of the most respected and experienced names in mastering, this really represents about as good as this stuff can sound. Please let us know what you think when it arrives...

Mark

Sorry for the delay of so many weeks since I received the package (internet ain't too big a priority
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Well it sounds less than I had expected but I'm probably guilty of expecting too much. You know when CDs are knock you on your ass sonic revelations (the Wilco catalog has ruined me
tongue.gif
) and you can't help but set yourself up for future disappointments with remasters that are merely mortal.

But once I mended myself I appreciated the across the board improvements.
I was reminded of the Pogues 'If I should Fall' remaster in that I thought there must be some limitations with the master tape. But nit picking aside I'm glad I got it. Much richer sounding.
cool.gif

On an artistic note I had never heard the Flying Burrito Bros or the other groups Gram was involved in and was left suprisingly unmoved. The transition experienced when playing disc two is personally quite huge. Like lifting the roof off of a contained talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back