GRAM PARSONS on BBC Four.
Feb 29, 2004 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
This applies mainly for the UK contingency. For those of you that think you are music fans (that should be all of you), you are in for a real treat. BBC Four have produced a documentary about the life of my musical hero, the late great Gram Parsons.

It's showing on two night consecutive nights, Friday 5 March at 2200-2330hrs and again on Saturday 6 March at 2330-0100hrs.

If you miss this I will not talk to you again.... ever!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, this will be a really great programme and will be well worth your while time.

gram1_lead.jpg

The following text is from here ..........
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/f...-parsons.shtml

GRAM PARSONS: FALLEN ANGEL
Friday 5 March 2004 10pm-11.30pm; rpt Saturday 6 March 11.30pm-1am

Thirty years after his untimely death, BBC Four presents the first-ever documentary film about the musical legend Gram Parsons.

On 19 September 1973, the musician and heir to a million-dollar fortune died under the influence of drugs and alcohol near his favourite place - the Joshua Tree National Monument in the Californian desert.

As the founder of the Flying Burrito Brothers; a member of the hit-making, legendary Byrds; an important influence on the Rolling Stones and the man who catapulted Emmylou Harris to fame, Gram Parsons made music history in only a few years.

The film was made on location by director and musician Gandulf Hennig and American music journalist, musician and biographer Sid Griffin. Friends, contemporaries and devotees of Gram Parsons talk about the importance of his work and the bizarre circumstances of his early death. Rare footage of his performances shows why Parsons has become a legend.

Interviewees include Gram's wife Gretchen, his sister and daughter, Keith Richards, Emmylou Harris, Chris Hillman and "Road Mangler" Phil Kaufman.

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 3
Well guys. I've finished watching this Tv programme and I was most impressed. They have done his memory a great deed. Lots of previously unseen footage and interviews with his family, friends and other musicians was aired.

On a sad note I was moved tears (literally) at the point where they came to recounting the circumstances of his death.

It went silent and a black screen was displayed simply stating that "Gram Parsons died on 19 September 1973. He was aged 26". The following interviews with his sister Avis and his estanged wife Gretchen were really heartwrenching.

For the UK members, if you get the chance. Please do watch this on Saturday 6 March at 2330-0100hrs on BBC Four.

I must say that i've rarely seen a programme that upset me so much.

RIP Gods Own Singer....... Gram Parsons 1946 - 1973

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Excellent documentary. It was co written by Sid Griffin (ex Long Ryders and a major Gram Parsons fan). Did anyone else see his Gram Parsons tribute tour a few years ago, it was very good ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back