Grainy/scratchy sound in the right ear of the HE-560
Feb 18, 2017 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sycho

100+ Head-Fier
I have in possession with me the Lyr and the Asgard. Both amps, when pushed sufficiently above a certain threshold will cause some pieces of music to make a scratchy grainy-like sound on the right side. Before the amps are warmed up, the don't seem to make that sound (although sound in general will sound a bit more congested). If I change tubes (Orange Globes A-frames to stock Lyr 6BZ7), the issue persists, though only after the tubes warm up.  For example, in Luv Letter by DJ Okawari at 0:40 to 0:48, I can hear this sizzle. When the intro guitar rifts from Time by Pink Floyd plays, I can also hear a rougher rift on the right, though I'm not sure if this was the artist's intentions. The HD 6XX does not seem to have this issue, even when playing at the same adjusted volume of the amp. Does anyone else have this issue, or is there something wrong with my HE-560 headphones?

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 3
I have in possession with me the Lyr and the Asgard. Both amps, when pushed sufficiently above a certain threshold will cause some pieces of music to make a scratchy grainy-like sound on the right side. Before the amps are warmed up, the don't seem to make that sound (although sound in general will sound a bit more congested). If I change tubes (Orange Globes A-frames to stock Lyr 6BZ7), the issue persists, though only after the tubes warm up.  For example, in Luv Letter by DJ Okawari at 0:40 to 0:48, I can hear this sizzle. When the intro guitar rifts from Time by Pink Floyd plays, I can also hear a rougher rift on the right, though I'm not sure if this was the artist's intentions. The HD 6XX does not seem to have this issue, even when playing at the same adjusted volume of the amp. Does anyone else have this issue, or is there something wrong with my HE-560 headphones?
I don't have your set up but I don't hear anything out of the ordinary on the the Luv Letter song. With out hearing the 560's it is hard to say. If you don't hear something similar on the 6xx's then the 560's could be defective as the 6xx's have pretty good detail and if they don't pick up the sound then it probably isn't there. If you can I would try different cables on everything.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Unfortunately, I was able to confirm that this is an issue via using the Speaker Setup test. At a high enough volume, it makes a beep/scratch sound. It is not a cable issue since I have two cables in possession with me.

On the other hand, I was able to take a picture of the drivers behind the earpads, and have noticed that the right has this black piece/thing sticking out. It's hard to determine if it's the cause, but my other driver does not seem to have this issue.

http://imgur.com/a/kkxKJ

Bad picture, but there's a little black thing just above the middle support frame. I'll try to contact HiFiMAN about it, but it's unlikely they will provide any support as I do not have warranty. The issue doesn't really persist with lower volumes so I'll see what I can do with these headphones.

EDIT: I was able to get a better picture http://imgur.com/a/Kj8ex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back