Graham Slee's Solo SRG w/ PSU1
Jun 18, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #46 of 113
Quote:

hughwi

However, I am slightly dissapointed that there is not much of a discernable difference between it and the pico DAC/amp I have been using! (I guess this is down to the fact that the Beresford is holding it back?).

solo3.jpg

solo1.jpg

solo2.jpg

I can understand where your coming from Hugh, I had the Green Solo for a while, in the end i preferred my Ibasso P2 with my HD650, the Solo did some things better, but the P2 had strengths that the Solo didn't have. Ive still got the P2, the Solo is long gone.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #47 of 113
I have just plugged my RS1s in... and it sounds atrocious! really really grainy and sibilant?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #48 of 113
As you only got your GS Solo today so probably need some burn in before things settle down - reason caps need time to stablised. Any owner please chime in and suggest the time period required. Also is your RS1i brand new too?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #49 of 113
The solo seemed to match the HD 650 very well, i didnt try it with other headphones, mine wasn't new, so it was already run in and sounding its best. Just give it sometime, my experience of it was a very neutral sound with wide soundstage, it was excellent, but in the end i preferred the slight warmth of the Ibasso, but i could have happily lived with the solo as my only amp.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #50 of 113
Well... all I can say is... you'll have to carefully match your source to your amp to your phones to achieve the best from your amp and your phones.

The Solo SRG is one of the best available, when mated with a proper source.

And... the RS-1s are some of the best phones available, when mated with the proper source and amp, which includes the Solo SRG.

They are not grainy, or sibilant in the least - zip, zero, nada!

If you're not prepared to match the source and amp to the phones - don't invest much in either the amp, or the phones. Save your money.

I don't know, if your Solo is the SRG. If it has the green LED, and the ground socket on the back panel, then it very likely is, if you bought it recently... though, I suppose, it could be the Solo Green from last year.

There is no other obvious means of identifying the SRG, of which I'm aware. Check with "Mrarroyo."

Of course, the best way to assure you get an SRG, is to buy it off the GS on-line store on their web site. Hopefully, that's where you bought yours - great prices!

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #51 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by hughwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I have just purchased a brand new Graham Slee Solo, am I right in assuming that this makes it a SRG? (looks exactly like mrarroyo's photos).

I have to say, it has been plugged in and playing music for around 4 hours now, and sounds completely different to how it sounded cold, much much better sound stage and bass extension. I couldnt agree more with HeadphoneAddict on that count.

However, I am slightly dissapointed that there is not much of a discernable difference between it and the pico DAC/amp I have been using! (I guess this is down to the fact that the Beresford is holding it back?).

In short, this thread gave me the nudge to purchase a SRG, and I am enjoying the ride so far!

I would have agreed with the SRG in the first few hours of warm up, but after 6 hours of warm up the SRG was well ahead of my Pico.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #52 of 113
Quote:

I have just plugged my RS1s in... and it sounds atrocious! really really grainy and sibilant?

Hi Hugh

You really need to let the Solo/SRG burn in for a good few hundred hours.
I would say at least 250-300 before you really hear what it can do.

Miguel, (mrarrayo) will probably say 500
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a totally different amp after the burn in period although I will say that
neither of the two Solos I have owned have ever sounded the slightest bit
grainy or sibilant. They went through phases of sounded a little bright but
this balanced out after burn-in.

I'm not sure about the SRG/RS-1 match though...Miguel will advise I'm sure.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #53 of 113
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys... it looks like im going to leave this running for a few days and come back to it, probably with a large DAC upgrade! I hooked the pico up as a pre-amp and things improved a fair bit with the RS1i, the HD650's on the other hand sound fine with the beresford already!

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #54 of 113
Quote:

Hi all,

I have just purchased a brand new Graham Slee Solo, am I right in assuming that this makes it a SRG? (looks exactly like mrarroyo's photos).

I have to say, it has been plugged in and playing music for around 4 hours now, and sounds completely different to how it sounded cold, much much better sound stage and bass extension. I couldnt agree more with HeadphoneAddict on that count.

In short, this thread gave me the nudge to purchase a SRG, and I am enjoying the ride so far!

Burn in will significantly improve most amps, in the case of the Solo SRG I say 500+ hours of burn in are needed. The Pico amp/dac is a very nice unit, although IMO the Solo SRG w/ PSU1 is a better amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muz640 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p293/muz640/solo3.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...z640/solo1.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...z640/solo2.jpg

I can understand where your coming from Hugh, I had the Green Solo for a while, in the end i preferred my Ibasso P2 with my HD650, the Solo did some things better, but the P2 had strengths that the Solo didn't have. Ive still got the P2, the Solo is long gone.

I owned the Solo SRG as well as the iBasso P2. The iBasso P2 was a nice unit but no way in the same league as the Solo SRG. Jusy my opinion.

Quote:

Atrocious? Grainy and sibilant? Not my experience w/ any of Solo SRG, Green Solo, Novo, Voyager. None sounded as you indicate, even when fresh out of the box.
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Hugh

You really need to let the Solo/SRG burn in for a good few hundred hours.
I would say at least 250-300 before you really hear what it can do.

Miguel, (mrarrayo) will probably say 500
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a totally different amp after the burn in period although I will say that
neither of the two Solos I have owned have ever sounded the slightest bit
grainy or sibilant. They went through phases of sounded a little bright but
this balanced out after burn-in.

I'm not sure about the SRG/RS-1 match though...Miguel will advise I'm sure.

I agree, 500+ hours of burn in. The sound of the Solo SRG is very refined and enjoyable. IMO of course.
icon10.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #55 of 113
The review unit loaned from Mrarroyo arrived today. It will be reviewed right after I finish the review of the of the AV-123 XHead.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #56 of 113
Quote:

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys... it looks like im going to leave this running for a few days and come back to it, probably with a large DAC upgrade! I hooked the pico up as a pre-amp and things improved a fair bit with the RS1i, the HD650's on the other hand sound fine with the beresford already!

Silly me, I just assumed you had burned it in.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #57 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The review unit loaned from Mrarroyo arrived today. It will be reviewed right after I finish the review of the of the AV-123 XHead.

I've listened to Blutarsky's, so it will be interesting to read what you thought about it. It wasn't bad but it wasn't something I need to go out and buy either.

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #58 of 113
My first listen of any music today, and I put on Supernaut by Black Sabbath. The Solo simply made everything sound more finished than the Creek. Hoorah to morning listening (well not morning now, but I haven't been around anything particularly noisy so far since I've been up).

I'm hoping the lengthy burn in differences get to me, because if this improves to a clear level over the Creek I will be satisfied.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #59 of 113
any news on the DIY kits?

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #60 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any news on the DIY kits?

I have had one on for over 2 months but have been way too lazy to start building it. I need to build that sucker!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back