Graham Slee Voyager
Dec 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

K.I. Unlimited

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I've heard this amp at a shop and even though I've had only a little time with it, the sound produced was mind-blowing.

Now I'm just saving up for it and a nice ALO LOD to compliment it(but that's another story), could the more experienced head-fiers around tell me more about the Contour/Flat? I've heard that there are some people who couldn't get off Contour the moment they flicked that "no going back" switch, but also have heard that in certain cases the Flat is better, e.g. with high-impedance headphones. (Sorry if I got that one wrong).

As for me, the only major finding from my "crash course" with the Voyager was that apart from holding true to the phrase "rubbish in, rubbish out" (I heard through two ALAC files, nearly made a face when I heard another 128kbps .mp3 one after that), and that the Contour made the music feel "more alive", I found that the Voyager REALLY needs a good Interconnect/LOD with it.

Not only good, but COMPLIMENTARY with your current rig. The shop helper who handed the Voyager for me to hear through, attached a DIY Cryo Copper Interconnect to it. The result? Even for some hard rock/metal music, the bass (most notably the drums) drowned out everything else important, the vocals, the treble...LOL

i.e. Overwhelming and intruding bass. Though I must note, it was tight and punchy, not muddy at all. Especially when comparing to the entry-level amp I now own, the .22 Ordnance amp.

When I put my own DIY Hybrid Interconnect in, the music blended in better - my rig had suffered from anemic bass before, and now with the Voyager, I finally had "bass that is alive", right amount, right amount of punch, great soundstage. And of course, expecting from a major amp upgrade, 100% improvement.

So IMO what I want to re-iterate is, the Voyager really brings the juice out of your Interconnect/LOD. I would say it's a great amp if you want to compare ICs/LODs, because the differences in SQ and everything else are no longer subtle, they become SIGNIFICANT.

I fished out the previous Voyager thread (which was in the wrong section, the Full-Sized Amp, btw) which was very informative, but unfortunately got serious derailment from a fellow head-fier. Now I need some fresh opinions and reviews.

Open to the floor now
biggrin.gif

(With reference to the derailment of the previous Voyager thread @ http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/voy...m-slee-264381/, please keep discussions mainly to SQ and other sound traits, rather than the mere appearance of the amp, thank you very much.)

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 18
Yes it did - and during the testing, it made me laugh too - especially when the Contour blew me away, + the mismatching with the DIY Cryo Copper
icon10.gif

This definitely showed me that an Interconnect/LOD is NOT just a piece of filmsy wire, and now I can share this great piece of info with my other audiophile friends @ another forum
o2smile.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, but check out for others in the same price range like 2Move which might bring you the DAC feature that could be used in future..may be.

Hmm yes, the DAC. Thanks for your suggestion, dude
smily_headphones1.gif

But most likely I'll be getting a GoVibe DAC-1 (or something like that) for that purpose later, and getting a worthwhile amp and a good LOD is already going to cost me a bomb...
o2smile.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 18
For that price of Voyager, you could get 2Move or a D3 which are considered to be quite decent around here. Voyager is good, but not the best for that money, I feel.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the suggestion; I will listen to those two you've recommended, as well as the other two in my signature
smily_headphones1.gif

I just want to confirm, is the D3 the iBasso D3?

And could you link me some threads to those two amps? Thanks.

Though still, I'm leaning more towards the Voyager's SQ and sound signature, and it doesn't make my heard palpitate like the RSA Predator does =X

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 18
Not everyone likes chocolate! What is good for A may not be for B. Ideally each of us should listen to the various amps and make an informed decission.

The Meier 2Move amp/dac is favored by some, I am not one of them. I rather lisen to other amps w/ my iPod as a portable.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 18
The big picture is that all of these top tier portable amps sound great and you really can't go wrong. If you spend the time to research and read user reviews it can make the decision easier and just might help to make the best pairing of monitor to amp.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 18
K.I.,

No worries. The Voyager is a great amp, but I prefer the Mustang. It is pulls you in deeper to the music.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 18
Sorry, but I won't be buying amps anytime soon - I haven't tried out the D3, 2Move, Pico and Mustang. The Mustang's only available in my country @/after Christmas, Pico's OOS, and I'm going down to try the other two today.

Thanks for the offer though - and um, if it's possible, I'll preferably like the thread to talk about the Voyager, or comparing it with other amps.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #14 of 18
After having spent many hours in the past week or so with my new(used) Voyager I must say...I don't feel the need to look for anything else. I enjoy this portable rig almost as much as my big rig and better on some recordings. I am listening through an iPod Classic 120G with ALAC files, ALO Cryo SXC 18g LOD and Grado SR80's. Sometimes I use the Shure SE530's. Very very enjoyable. The contour switch is great for underwhelming recordings. I listen to everything from metal to bluegrass to classical. Very versatile little amp. Smooth, clean, detailed and FUN!

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 18
Thanks for bumping - reminded me of something.

I've heard from acquaintances that every single Voyager is different - it depends on how you burn in. So better burn it in the way you want it, or it's going to have sonic characteristics you find undesirable, like decreased soundstage =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back