Graham Slee Voyager + Beyerdynamic DT880/600 = Worth?
Dec 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Mampus

New Head-Fier
As subject, is that worth?

Source is my PC/Notebook and maybe I will buy DAC to complete that setup (if needed)

Any help?

Soory for the bad english
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks for your post, shizego
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll wait for your review
beyersmile.png

Anyone have a different opinion about this?

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 22
The DT880 is quite detailed and the Voyager has a propensity for highs, but it also has an a more atmospheric low end than some other amps, making a great pair. But really, no portable solid state has the beefy, somewhat smeared sound of valve amps which help the DT880 sound its best.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 22
So, tube amp is for 880/600, not the solid one?

For me, portable or dekstop isn't problem, as long as my Beyer 880/600 get an amp that makes it sound like never before
icon10.gif

N.B = $300 for amp
beyersmile.png

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 22
The Slee is an exciting amp which pretty nice highs and great lows. It has good atmosphere for a portable, sounding sometimes a little warm, but it has a synergistic sound with the DT880, and while good (certainly better than many I have used), isn't perfect. But for pairing portable amps with the DT880, I might suggest looking for one with a bit of harmonic distortion.

The great thing about the DT880 600 is that it is quite easy to drive well, so getting bass and speed out of it isn't a problem. But its wide presentation and energetic highs can be somewhat problematic. Interestingly enough, the AMP3 Pro sounds very good with it.

I don't know your preferences, but among most portables, the Voyager is among my personal favourites for the DT880. But sometimes, the two can be too much like twins and not enough like partners. That said, some amps are simply too clinical: from bass to treble, they cut like a knife. The voyager doesn't do that.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 22
Looking forward to the review too. I'm considering some new phones and am restricting the search to low impedance ones as I was under the impression the Voyager doesn't have sufficient power to drive 300 ohms let alone 600.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 22
actually, it does a lot better with higher impedance phones (to a degree). It isn't good for balanced armatures though: simply cannot drive handle that load, but dynamic iems and even my 600 ohm dt880 sound great, though the treble is quite active. I should (hope) to publish by Friday.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 22
Sorry, I am late on the review (as always is the case). Short summary = this is a great combo, but slightly energetic in the treble. It may be my favourite portable for the DT880. if you are looking for volume, the Voyager has it: I never stray further than about 9 o'clock on the volume pot for modern music and about 11 o'clock for older music.

But forget volume, there is very good bass performance with the DT880 600 ohm to the tune of... not too far from the slam of a few home amps. But, those last few digits of 'want' isn't so small. Simply a great portable amp for headphones. I don't recommend it as much for iems. It cannot drive balanced armature earphones, and has a harder time with low ohm dynamics. But in its realm, forget other options - simply amazing for the DT880.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never stray further than about 9 o'clock on the volume pot for modern music and about 11 o'clock for older music.

Interesting! I usually set the volume to 9 o/c with my 50 ohm HD595s. I'm surprised the impedance doesn't make much difference.

I wonder how the Voyager would sound with HD600/650...

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 22
I don't have the HD650 with me as they are in another office which I won't be getting to this year again, but what I noticed with the 600 and 650 in terms of volume only was that for me, they had enough volume from an iPod to annoy me.

Power was another thing. The voyager packs a punch (volume) and honestly, for the DT880 is simply a great, though energetic match.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 22
By the way, that isn't the review. The review should be out this weekend or early next week. I will make sure to be thorough about sound with earphones, iems, headphones, build, performance numbers and build quality. That was a teaser with one headphone which basically said it was good without saying why!

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 22
Didn't like it? I find it a bit energetic in the highs, but then, nearly any non-valve amp is energetic with the DT880. It is just a maturely fun amp which does DT880 very well. Among portables, I think it is a great mate for the DT880. Of course, this is personal, but it is a great product for this sort of headphone. Again, for portables, I am often wondering, "where's the bass?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back