Graham Slee Solo VS Creek OBH-21SE
Aug 24, 2008 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Max Dread

Head-Fier
Hi there

I just recently bought some AKG 701s and a Creek OBH-21SE. I'm still burining in at the moment (I've got about 170 hours). I'm quite impressed, but the bottom end still seems to be a bit lacking - as many said it is on these 'phones. I also find the top end a little on the harsh side with some stuff.

Anyhow, I was wondering how the GS Solo would compare to the Creek? I will use my set up to enjoy music, but predominantly I will be using them in a studio set up for mixing and critical listening. So neutrality and transparency are important.

Cheers

Max

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 6
I used to own the Creek OBH-21SE. There's nothing glaringly wrong with that amp, but I agree with you that the bottom end is lacking when combined with AKG K701.

I've never used a GS Solo. But I found it odd that you would use an AKG K701 as a studio monitor... doesn't seem like the appropriate headphone for that application in my opinion.

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 6
I have a GS Solo and find it to be analytical (without being cold), transparent and neutral. It works best with high-impedance phones (such as my 600 Ohm DT990), but it also pairs well with powerhungry AKG's (500, 501). Never tried it with a 701 though. The Solo is an amp that keeps surprising me in terms of resolution, detail and oomph. The lower end is just sublime.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi

A local dealer has the Musical Fidelity x-can v3s in their sale section. Any comment on how this compares to the Creek?

BTW, should I start another thread for this....?

Cheers

Max

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 6
At the UK Head-Fi meet last year, we found that while the Sennheiser HD-650s sounded absolutely superb with the Solo, we felt that other amps drove the 701s better.

Graham reckons that the new Novo should have what it takes to give the 701s what they need... If you're not in a rush, I'm sure one of the more seasoned members taking part in the loan program will have some of these cans to test with this amp and will let you know what they think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back