Graham Slee "Novo" - UK Loaner Program
Oct 15, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #46 of 91
Yeah...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not being funny, but what happened to this thread? Where is this amp right now?

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #47 of 91
I thought I was about number two on the list, but no sign of it so far.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #48 of 91
I had plans over getting an amp after the Novo audition, but now it seems like
I've got to make a decision and buy some amp soon as I can't wait any longer.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #50 of 91
Oh well. Speak of the devil. It arrived in the post this morning. It has coincided with a very busy time for me, but I'll try to spend some time with it.

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #55 of 91
Well, I've been listening to the Novo this evening, comparing it to my GS-1 and my Darkvoice 332.

As a bit of background my first headphone amp was a DV 336 and I became dissatisfied with it as it because it didn't present a window on the sound that was transparent enough (I did some valve rolling, of course) and the DV 332 got me where I wanted to be. The microdetails at the high frequency end gave the DV332 the transparency I was looking for. Then I acquired the GS-1 and I didn't find it so hugely different from the DV332. The DV332 has slightly more valve warmth but not much. They both have smooth and grain-free high frequencies.

Now I've been comparing the Novo to these two amps using initially my K701s and my DT880s. Then I got out my K501s (I haven't used them since I got my K701s) and ended the evening lying on the carpet enjoying music through the Novo + K501s. This evening has got my K501s out of storage and put them centre stage.

I actually think I prefer the Novo to the GS-1 and the DV332, although I could live with either of these amps. They are all good amps. I prefer the Novo because it sounds slightly faster (microdetails again) in the higher registers, and is consequently more transparent. The high frequencies seem to go up as far as I can hear without any grainyness, harshness, rolling off or other aberations, with a 'weight' in the lower registers that brings a sort of authority to the sound, but without being 'rounded' or plummy. I know it sounds crazy but the GS-1 sounds sort of valve-like compared to the Novo, and the DV332 sounds just a bit more valve-like. Compared to the Novo they both sound slightly coloured - slighty too 'rich' and maybe rolled off in the treble. The image kept coming to me - with the Novo it is as though the window is just a bit cleaner. Sometimes I would go back to the Novo just to hear a passage again with that extra bit of transparency and detail and no colouration.

I have been with a few exceptions using classical music for this, initially vinyl (because I think vinyl is my best quality source), and later with CDs or FLACS through the Squeezebox 3 and Beresford DAC. I used solo piano, solo voice (Schubert songs), medieval music (I like the clatter and rawness of the instruments) and some orchestral music. Also some Patricia Barber and Robert Wyatt. I haven't been listening at very high volumes, with the volume control of the Novo and GS-1 both at about 12:30.

These are just my first impressions. Unfortunately the Novo arrived at a very busy time for me as I have to move out of my flat on Monday while my kitchen and bathroom are redone. I plan to take the Novo, the GS-1, the DV332, my iBasso D1 and my several iRiver H140s filled with FLACS and continue the comparisons in my temporary accommodation. I may throw my RSA SR-71 into the mix as well.

I just went to the Graham Slee Web site and, yes, the Novo costs £235. I would be interested to know how its sound compares with other Graham Slee amps. I'm really impressed by it. I doesn't look so much, it is small and light and has a wall-wart, but I think the sound is really good, and it offers really brilliant SQ/£.

The surprise for me this evening was that on some recordings I was preferring the K501 to the K701, again because they seem faster, and there was an extra amount of transparency, liveliness and smoothness. I wasn't missing any bass with them on the music I was listening to. I'm thinking that the Novo + K501 is a very good rig.

More to come.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #56 of 91
Thanks for the impressions DennyL, glad you like it.

Big Tony... Do you have any thoughts on it?

The list is as follows and was based on the date/time I received emails with the required information (as requested at the start of this thread):

BigTony RECEIVED
DennyL RECEIVED
Anadin
Vkvedam
Onocentaur DROPPED OUT
Nuwidol
SubFocus
Duggeh

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #57 of 91
I'd like to be removed from the list please. I'm going to be too busy come the time itll get to me and I'm down now to zero dynamic headphones anyway. Sorry.

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #58 of 91
I am currently listening to the "Novo" as I type this.

It is running from my Stello DA100 Signature and is sounding really nice.

Smooth overall sound signature with highs on the bright side.

Nice vocals very clean and crisp.

Using HD650's and it drives them very well.

Very postive so far.

I am keeping this until next tuesday so whoever is next in line could you please PM me your address details.

Many thanks.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #59 of 91
MrJoshua, can you put me on the list, I pm'd you my address on the 2nd of Oct, but can do it again if it went astray.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back