Graham Slee Green Solo 2008 upgrade to: PSU1 or DIY Ultra Linear kit
Oct 26, 2011 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

robdeszan

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have been a Solo Green 2008 user (ath w5000 headphones) for about three years and I feel it's time for an upgrade.

I am considering either purchasing the PSU1 unit as I am currently using the supplied wallmart type plug or upgrade with the DIY Ultra Linear kit instead and continue using the wallmart plug. I can only afford one or the other, unfortunately.

Which option, in your opinion, will bring the most significant improvement?

Many thanks.

Pat

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 6
I started with a Solo MC a number of years ago and then did the Ultra Linear upgrade kit, and the two are very different indeed.  I have always had the PSU-1 on both.

If you are happy with the current setup then I would personally go for the PSU-1 first to maximise what you already have.  If you then fancy a change maybe then go for the Ultra Linear kit.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi Marco,
Thanks for your opinion. I may have a chance to compare the two very soon. It's good to know they're two different animals so the change may not be for the better. I am really curious to hear what improvements the PSU1 will bring with the GreenSolo. 
I will share the findings. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Here are some quick impressions following a test-drive of the new UL Solo.

My intention was to find out how the UL Solo + Green PSU compares against the 2008 Solo + PSU1 as I have been planning to upgrade with either the DIY pre-populated UL board or by adding the PSU1 as the cost is pretty similar.

Well, having listened to all possible combinations with a 3 day switched-on period after reconnecting PSUs to allow the amps to settle, I have to say that I favour the Green Solo + PSU1 combination over both the UL Solo + Green PSU and UL Solo + PSU1.

I find the presentation of the Solo Green + PSU1 warmer with deeper bass, sweeter highs and pronounced mid-range (a bit of a hump here, actually). Moreover, absence of any background noise adds to fabulous decay of sound. Although, I would rate the UL slightly higher when it comes to soundstage and detail, it is a perception that stems from a generally brighter character of the UL which, in the end, makes it sound less analogue and a bit more digital to my ears.

I am very impressed with the PSU1 which made the Green Solo sound more mature. It made it sound fuller with improved separation and detail. I already mentioned the almost absolute background silence it brings which in consequence contributes to the extended sound decay. I am definitely getting one shortly. Highly recommended! 

While it all may come down to one's taste, sound preference or equipment matching, I hope my opinion will be of value to those considering upgrading their Solo.

Source NAIM CDX + XPS2 with Audio Technica W5000 headphones

All the best.

Pat

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Pat, this is very helpful since I'm in a similar situation to you with a green-powered SRGII and choice of UL upgrade or PSU1.

I think the PSU1 route is the way to go as there is always the factory upgrade (to UL) to take advantage of at a later date.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I would prefer the ultra linear upgrade kit, ever since I opened up the PSU1.

Personally, I call them the "Pandora Boxes"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back