Graduation gift-headphones? AMP?...
Jun 29, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #17 of 39
I've been looking in the forums and google'ing but does anyone know of a guide or something that can show me how to select an amp and headphones that will work soundly together?

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 39
There's no guide, just basically people's opinions. Maybe try looking if there's more than one person with the same setup? Then you know that pair has great synergy.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 39
i think you are best off doing some research and pick out some headphones, then try to find an amp that compliments them. Pick out some headphones that fit your needs: open, closed, portable, full sized.... then find an amp that fits your needs, portable, desktop, included dac?

If you are going to be spending a lot of money and really plan on diving into this hobby, you are better off spending most of your budget on one thing, then saving for the next. That way you don't get stuck with mediocre headphones and amp and then have the urge to upgrade.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 39
I am pretty new at this head-fi stuff as well but I have done a lot of reading on here over the last few months especially on amps as I was looking for one as well. The ibasso D2 Boa gets a lot of love here with many types of headphones. Also if you want to go a bit cheaper in price a Mini3 is supposed to go have great value as well if you don't need the DAC. Search both of those and you will have plenty to read! Enjoy!

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #21 of 39
total bithead amp + grado sr225 seem like a good combo, that would be $350, and it would fit both portable needs as well as desktop/laptop needs. I don't have direct experience with it yet, but that's what I concluded would be best for me after a lot of research, and I ordered that combo yesterday.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 39
keep in mind that the sennheiser hd595 is only a 50 ohm headphone. any portable player should be able to drive it just fine. note that it will sound better with an amp. i'm just saying that an amp isn't essential.

also, i agree with what tpc41 said: "If you are going to be spending a lot of money and really plan on diving into this hobby, you are better off spending most of your budget on one thing, then saving for the next. That way you don't get stuck with mediocre headphones and amp and then have the urge to upgrade."

if you like the sennheiser sound, you should go for either the hd600 or hd650, and save up for an amplifier yourself. otherwise, you'll get an urge to upgrade and spend more money on a new pair of headphones. in my opinion, the hd600 or hd650 upgrade well as their sources/amps get better.

good luck on the beginning of your journey...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #24 of 39
if you are a perfectionist trying to attain "optimal" sound, buy only the headphones for now... then save up for an amp and/or DAC later... it will save you money in the long run.

if you just wanna buy something then leave forever, i think a an M^3 amp paired with a ~$200 headphone would be pretty good

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #25 of 39
My take on your situation is that you're looking for a pair of good headphones for general use? If so, just buy that - good headphones.

Personally, I'd rather buy an easy-to-drive headphones which don't require an amp to sound good. Some brands that some to mind are Audio-Technica, Ultrasone and Grado. Most of their headphones, arguably, don't neccessarily NEED an amp to sound good. Headphones are by far the most influential component in your audio set-up - if you don't NEED, or don't want
tongue.gif
, an amp for your headphones to sound good, don't get one, it'll just be unnecessary and you wouldn't notice a whole lot of difference anyway.

Keep in mind, I am assuming you have quality sound source; (1) Quality music recordings, not just random music poorly ripped from a CD at something like 128kbps, or worse, downloaded pirated music with serious distortions and weird sounds added. Headphones at $300 WILL reveal the bad, to an extent, in your music recordings. and (2) Decent quality DAC, which an iPod has, or a good soundcard, or even better an external USB DAC (digital to analog converter), but you need an amp with an external DAC.

What uses are you intending for your headphones? Games/Music/Movies/all of the above? Which uses are more important? If you have these details more people are able to recommend specific headphone models.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #26 of 39
As for the technical aspects of my recordings...i fear the worst. I have an ipod filled with a compilation of dowloaded, itunes converted, and possibly pirated tracks.

My main intent is use my headphone/amp with my ipod. However I want something that I could just as easily plug into my laptop and listen to a movie (this isnt really a factor I just want to be able to use the same set of hardware).

I've read more into the difference between open and closed headpohones and is the leaking sound really THAT bad (ie. disturb new college roomates).

I'm also looking into the Dennon AH-D2000 in order to invest into a specific part. Will these work well witout an amp (I'm going on a whim assuming they will blow the $25 sentry headphones I am using out of the water...
smily_headphones1.gif
) If yes, I thinki willgo with those and then in a couple of months, pick up an amp (by then I'll probably be yearning for something new anyhow)

And thanks so far everyone!

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 39
A used Headsix amp from the FS forums here goes around $110-120. Lasts a long time on battery and uses easy to get 9v batterys that you can swap out.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 39
Lol! Can not be easy coming to this forum looking for advice on anything. Is there any headphone or brand not mentioned in this thread?

I think the best thing to do, is to find some stores where you can audition some cans, and see which one you like the best.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #29 of 39
I totally agree with you. The only thing is that I am surrounded by major commercial stores that have restriciting return policies. Finding some of the headphones is easy but findgin a way to try them is a whole 'nother ball game. Especially because of all the bose marketing (only public trial displays)

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzisman4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree with you. The only thing is that I am surrounded by major commercial stores that have restriciting return policies. Finding some of the headphones is easy but findgin a way to try them is a whole 'nother ball game. Especially because of all the bose marketing (only public trial displays)

I can not recommend the HD595 as I have not heard it, but it might be a nice can for you. I mean, if you find a store with them, you should be able to audition them if they are serious about their customers. Also, the different brands have different sound signature obviously.
Also, keep in mind that many/most headphones does not need an amp, even if many tell you so. They will probably improve with proper amplification, but that is another story. Anyway, there are not neccessarily night and day differences.
Even my HD650 do just fine out of the headphone jack on my stereo receiver, or my Echo Mia soundcard on the PC, but they do scale up with an headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back