Grado's
Mar 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

bear7

100+ Head-Fier
What headphone in yall's opinion has a sound signature that is closest or more similar to a Grado? I love my Grado RS1, I just want a different feel. If I stay with a Grado what's the next Grado should I try. I have > RS1, 2, 325 & 60. Your opinions r very welcomed as I have no way to audition headphones.

David

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 35
I, personally, don't think there's another headphone that has a Grado-like signature.  Grado, essentially, has their own signature, which many can't copy or have chosen not to copy.

Have you considered trying some other headphones outside of Grados?  Or, do you consider your next step more logical staying in the Grado family and going with the PS-500 @ $599 or the next model up for $999?  I think that's a hard decision that I can't make for you.  Also, it's awfully hard to find shops that carry enough headphones and allow in-store demonstrations.  Most, are still sealed in the original box and the store offers you a refund option, if  you don't like them.  But, even then, going through such an exercise with 5 or 6 different headphones can seem like a hassle at times.

Have you considered checking out an area headphone meet that might be near your area?  If so, there's a good chance that you'd be able to demo quite a few varieties of headphones with different amps and sources to gain some more perspective into what you might desire.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 35
There's no such thing as a headphone meet where I am, not within 500 miles. No audio sound shops either. Could u tell me what's the difference between the Grado RS and PS.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 35
After all the time I've been here, no headphone has come close really...

You just gotta try something different mate, the RS1 is an icon because it's so unique.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 35

Quote:

You just gotta try something different mate, the RS1 is an icon because it's so unique.

One of the best headphones by grado IMO. 

You say you want to try a different sound signature..do they have to be grado? what about exploring another brands? 

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 35
I've had my PS-500 for a week,and i absolutely love them,i think Grado has struck perfect balance with these ones,if they get better with time it's gonna be bliss!

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 35
I love all my Grado's, which is why I don't use anything else. I have a Senn HD600, beyerdynamic 880, AKG 701. Has anybody compared the RS1 with the PS500. I thought about Denon. My Grado's and these other three i have r the only cans I have ever listened too. I love 70's rock and my RS1's r perfect.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 35
I did compare the RS1i to the PS-500 and i'm glad i did,if i could use one word to describe how they sound,it would be ''lush'', they sound politely detailed,never harsh,they have a ''tubes'' sound to them,the first thing i noticed when i did the comparison was that they have more bass than the RS1i,then i noticed the smoother mids and highs,what's nice is you hear every details,they're just not as in your face as the RS1,and last but not least they're cheaper than the RS1i. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
Would recabling of the RS1 b worth it? Single ended.

Yeah I had a recabled RS-2 from Moon Audio and it was well worth the extra money, I wanted a way to upgrade my sound without spending on super expensive amps that I'd have to wait weeks to months for completion (Mapletree Audio EAR)

Drew is a cool cat to deal with if you're interested in getting your RS-1's recabled.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
No mention of an Ohrenholz Magnum build? For shame, people. For shaaaaaaaaame. /waggles finger

I thought about mentioning it.  However, the guy already indicated that he has a pair of RS-1 Grados, which cost more than an fine pair of cups from Ohrenholtz and the Magnum drivers.  You don't want to take a pair of $350 headphones and make an owner of $699 headphones cry when they hear the pair at half the cost.  
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back