grado's?
Feb 18, 2012 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LemanRuss9

100+ Head-Fier
hi head fi
regarding my last thread about audeze.i just dont want to stray from my last thread's topic.
i want to ask about grado's Product.Some said they are good and some dont?
i kinda interested in there sr60i
anyword for grado products?

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 7
Like all headphones it is largely a matter of personal preference. Personally I love my Grado's and use them often.

They do have a certain presentation that some love and some hate, and volumes have been written on Head-Fi discussing their "house sound" as well as comparing them to other phones. Do a search on Head-Fi for Grado and you will see.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Like all headphones it is largely a matter of personal preference. Personally I love my Grado's and use them often.

They do have a certain presentation that some love and some hate, and volumes have been written on Head-Fi discussing their "house sound" as well as comparing them to other phones. Do a search on Head-Fi for Grado and you will see.

thanks for the info dude.
gonna check it out

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Grados are colored specifically for rock and jazz stylings, and most agree that they excel at that. The SR60i and SR80i are some of the best values in the headphone world if you listen to rock, but if you're using different genres they start to sound controversial.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 7
I find it hard to believe that you would make this thread if you had utilized the search function and perused the thousands of other threads asking this same, exact question.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
thanks for the info dude.
gonna check it out

If I'm not mistaken, she's (NiceCans) not a "dude."

Grados are special headphones.  I resisted buying them for years because I couldn't think of anything that was more of a ripoff when comparing build quality - and price - with other "mainstream" headphones.  Yet, after continuing to hear them in different environments and at different meets, I was hooked.  The cheaper models need care to keep from sounding harsh in the highs - one of the reasons you see so many people recommending tube amps.  The higher-end models are not as sensitive and have more bass, but you still need to be careful with the amp selection.

Some have suggested that Grado's are over-damped and need headphone amps that are not as low in output impedance as everyone seems to recommend.  I can certainly attest to this theory as being consistent in my experience.  Nevertheless, a fine Grado paired with the right amp can rival electrostatics in speed and transient response.  They certainly can hold their own with something like a Stax Lambda, which I've directly compared.

You'll hear the rest of the comments, too - absolutely geared toward rock music and unequaled for quitar string reproduction - all true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back