Grados with an amp
Aug 26, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredNinja
How do grados fare without an amp (I'm thinking SR60-80-125)? I have an amp, but I am thinking they would look like a better second pair of headphones, which are a bit more portable, but can they be driven by a portable mp3 player? Thanks!

The grados should be fine with an mp3-player. Back when I had the Alessandro MS-1 i loved the way it sounded straight out of an ipod and I'm sure a lower end grado would have sounded awsome as well.

Grados is not something I would wear outside though due to the lack of isolation and the long thick chord.

Aug 26, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi TiredNinja,

I use my SR60 for portable listening, and it performs well un-amped straight from an iPod headphone jack. Like l_simon_l said, it's quite open therefore sound leakage is a concern for you (noise in) and others (music in quiet place). But sound wise, the entry level Grados don't lose significant quality when un amplified.

Overlunge

Aug 27, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 5
The normal impedance of most Grado Labs headphones is 32ohms and will work sufficiently well with a portable audio player. Although the aforementioned view is shared by many users of the headfi community, I feel that the benefit of a headphone amplifier with Grado Labs products is quite underplayed and I would keep this in mind when paring high end models of the Prestige Series with portable players.

Best,
iDesign

Aug 27, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm by no means an expert, but I was deciding between the SR-60 and SR-80 a few weeks ago. I listened to both amped from a high-quality source and was almost set on getting the SR-80s because the bass sounded a little bit deeper.

I came back in to demo with my ipod and, unamped, the SR-60s sounded more engaging to me than the 80s. Fort what it's worth, I ended purchasing the 60s and have been very happy with them. We should have an SR-60 smiley.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back