Grados vs IEMs- soundstage?
Feb 16, 2006 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mateo05

100+ Head-Fier
How would you compare the soundstage of a high-end custom IEM (ACS T2PRO for me) with the typical Grado soundstage? It seems like they'd be similar, since people always talk about how "close" the Grado sound is and just because of how IEMs work. But that seems kind of too simple- do higher-end Grados give you more "width" while being on-stage? Do high-end IEMs have more soundstage than it would seem? Just interested in your opinions...yes, yes, I know I should audition, but that'll be a while from now.

Feb 16, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, it's hard to say, since we're kind of comparing apples to oranges. But what's interesting is that an IEM known for its soundstage like the super.fi 5 Pro might make you happy with its soundstage, because it is surprisingly good for an IEM. But then a RS-1, which may objectively have a wider soundstage, might sound flat to you (esp depending on the electronics) because it's not as airy as say a HD600 or even a PS-1.

Still, if I had to pick one, I'd definitely say for soundstage, I'd prefer the RS-1 over my Sensaphonics 2X-S any day of the week.

Best,

-Jason

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 3
If you're talking about strictly instrument positioning, I find it depends on the source material. Some songs that sound very big on my SR-325i's sound smaller on my ER4s, and some songs vice versa. In general though, I'd say my Grados tend to produce a more interesting soundstage. In fact it feels more like I'm standing on the stage (with the guitarist nearby, drums behind and singer off in the distance, usually), as opposed to standing in a studio or watching 1st or 2nd row with my ER4s.

On the other hand, I find instrument separation is a little better on the Etys than on the Grados. This could be due to my poor amplification though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back