Grados SR80 or the Sennheiser PX 100?
Dec 24, 2007 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dman777

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between the Grados SR80 or the Sennheiser PX 100 for my Cowon D2. I'm assuming the Grados will sound better than the PX100 because of it costs more. But how much better will it sound? How will the Grados sound with the D2? Also, I like the Sennheiser PX 100 more just because their smaller and I don't want to deal with bulky headphones. But I don't want to be depriving myself of the best sound possible for over the ear phones. What should I do?

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 19
If you don't want to deal with regular (bulky) headphones, why even consider the Grados? I have owned both, and still have the Grados. No comparison to me SQ-wise, but the Grados are strictly an at-home phone. Instead of PX-100s, get the Yuin PK3s, and you will have no bulk with excellent sound.

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 19
No, I'm talking strictly over the ear. Ok, so Gardo beats the x100 by a long shot? Is there a headphone the same size of the X100 that sounds as good as Gardo and is around $100?

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 19
You could get the Ksc75s for $20. They are legendary ear clips (not bulky) and are closer to the Grado sound than the Senns in my view. Also, search this forum for the Kramer mod if you get the Ksc-75s. I don't know of any over-the-ear phones as light as the PX-100s that are any better, but that's cause they are a weird style (more like the classic cheap headphone form factor). Also, I got my PX-100s for $32 on Amazon, so look for sales.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 19
I didn't hear the OP ask for a portable with the Grado sound, he was asking which was the best and some like the px-100 and ksc-75 more than Grado sr60/80.

To the OP what kind of sound do you like? And what music do you listen to? Sennheiser has more bass and softer treble than Grado and ksc-75 and is a bit laid back. To be honest grado sr-80 has very much treble so if you have sensitve ears the Grado is not for you, sr-60 is a little better due to the comfy pads. Grado is concidered to be good rock/metal cans. Px100 should be good allronder. Ksc-75 is somewhere in the middle and one of my all time favorite headphones.

The best thing is to find a store to test them all for your self.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 19
I'd get a Grado, I haven't tried either though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 19
Welcome to head-fi dman, as far as I know there isn't a clear 'winner' between the PX100 and SR80, it really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. I own the PX100 and I can tell you that it really has great bass, I've auditioned the SR60 and to me it's a bit thrill and not my kind of sound.

I also own the KSC75 and prefer it over the PX100 for jazz and vocal music, while I prefer the PX100 for rock and R&B. I don't know much about your amp, but in general for Grados you'd want an amp that can push currents while the PX100 and KSC75 are more forgiving.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much about your amp, but in general for Grados you'd want an amp that can push currents while the PX100 and KSC75 are more forgiving.

While more current is good for the Grados, in general, Grados sound great ampless and are easy to drive. Keep in mind that the lower Grados (SR60/SR80) will not benefit much from amping, while the higher end ones benefit much more.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 19
The igrado wraps around the head...make sure you google those before you decide on them. I have both the sr60 and px100, and while I prefer the grado sound, the px100s are in my opinion close to it. I also have the ksc35s (sibling of the ksc75s), and yes they are fantastic for the price, but if you can't deal with the earclips the px100 is your best bet.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 19
I own the PX-100, and I'm surprised how much it improves with amping. I didn't like listening to them unamped because the bass is just so boomy and it just ruins songs with slow bass lines. It's actually a pretty good rock can when it's amped. I have never tried an SR-80, but people keep on saying how the Grados have that in-your-face sound (and harsher highs) and the Senn's the more laidback of the two. I don't find the PX-100's sound sig to be fatiguing, and the clamping force is just right for up to 3 hours of listening. My only gripe with it is that the sound isn't that detailed, and it's still a tad too bass-heavy for my taste, even when amped. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 19
I have PX100, KSC75 and SR-60... I'd take the SR-60 over the other two even when considering price differences.

To me (which isn't standard!) the grados are much more comfortable. I use the SR-60 with bowls and this way they are circumaural for my small ears. The KSC dangle awkwardly from my ears and irritate me after about six seconds and the PX100 clamps quite a bit (and I have a small head) and as they are supra-aural this makes my ears hurt real bad after an hour.

Soundwise, the SR-60 to me are fun but still detailed (with bowls at least) and coupled to a decent amp (H5, Millet Max or Pengamp) they have enough (clean!) bass. The PX100 is way too muddy to my ears and the KSC tries hard enough, but still just sounds fake to me: slightly muddy bass, plastic feel overall,...

just my humble opinion of course...

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 19
I listen to the PX100 more these days out of portable amp. I just love that sub-bass though it's a bit unnatural.

SR80 - Fast, a bit too bright for most folks, punchy bass, good detail
PX100 - Laid back, a bit too dark for most folks, lots of bass/sub-bass, lacks detail

SR80 usually needs some EQ to bump up the Bass and maybe lower Treble.
PX100 usually needs some EQ to bump up the Treble and lower the Bass.

Pick your poison.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back