Grados/otherwise? confused!
Jun 29, 2007 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

judas391

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'd like some headphones that:
- could be suitably driven from a Zune (loud/good sound quality)
- are good for rock/metal in general (Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Pantera, Boston, etc.)
- under $250 CDN
- are sort of balanced, I don't want headphones that are too neutral or 'boring'
- create a good listening experience, really blast you into the music without having such extreme highs
- have a little sound stage, I don't want two boom boxes strapped to my ears

Yes, I've heard of Grado a lot, but am scared of their supposedly bright/accentuated highs sound. I haven't heard them personally, but I don't like cans that sound too bright or get distorted highs at higher volumes.
If grados would actually suit my needs, which product on the line should I begin with?
Any other headphone recommendations will be considered, I'm pretty open-minded with my $$$.
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 24
I love my Grados, but they do have an "intense" sound. For me it is actually getting to be "too much" and I am now considering trading them in for something else.

Nonetheless, they are amazing cans for rock, and they have a very "fun" sound. Because they DO meet quite a lot of your criteria, you might want to consider trying some. SR-60's are pretty cheap although since you're in Canada you would probably want to get them on the FS/FT forum. I heard that Grado's are very expensive in Canada.

On the other hand, they're very open and leak sound like no other. If that's what you mean by "I don't want boom boxes strapped to my ears" then they're not for you. The sound that is leaked is all treble, no bass.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 24
If you are going to be listening primarily out of your Zune, I would suggest the SR60's. Living in Vancouver there are plenty of stores that have Grados for sale. Go in and try a few out! The nice thing about the SR60's (besides the low price) is that they come with a 1/8" plug so you can connector directly to your Zune's jack without an adapter.

Provided you have good rips of your music, and the music itself isn't distorted up top, the SR60's won't be scratchy etc. They are forward and they are definitely fun.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 24
Hey thanks a lot guys. The vancouver hificentre that sells Grados sells them for $130CDN. What a crime, considering I could get them on TTVJ.com for $80ish with shipping.
I'm also kind of against coming in to a shop and testing cans out, because I am 15. The store owners probably consider me a non-serious buyer and completely ignore me and/or give me funny looks.
A nagging point on my mind is how the SR60s appear flat in all pictures. I usually find headphones that are flat and covered in foam as uncomfortable. Are these any different?

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 24
You have a few options with the Grados -- there are several pads you can use.

The bowls actually sound fantastic, but for me they are FAR less comfortable than the default "comfies." I think you'll find that the flat comfies are decently comfortable, certainly more than your average "flat" headphones.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 24
So I guess Grados are the general recommendation?

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 24
They're a very good fit for your criterion. The only "iffy" parts are that they leak a LOT of sound, and that they can be shrill to some ears.

As Zanth recommended, you should test them at a store if you can. Forget about the lousy store reps -- this is important!
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 24
i havent heard anything better for pink floyd than Grado. and slag is right, the comfy pads are much more comfortable than the bowls. my ears actually dont touch the pads they are resting against the metal screen protecting the transducer and my ears hurt after a while.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 24
I love my SR80s but I am old and killed my ability to fully hear highs w/ loud punk music back in the day. Now, when dogs around me bark I can't figure out why they are barking.

Anyway, Alessandros are a way to go if you want a more balanced sound or you can always pad roll a bit. Personally I think someone with your musical tastes will be very happy with either Grado or Alessandro and that you will wonder what the fuss is about the highs being extreme but that is just a hunch from an old guy surrounded by mysteriously howling dogs.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 24
Alessandro MS-1 is incredible headbang for the buck. 99$ SHIPPED anywhere in the world. Highly recommended.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 24
The SR-80s have a bit more energy than the MS-1s. And, the MS-1s have more pronounced highs. I found myself turning up the volume when I had my MS-1s which caused more fatigue.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 24
I would go with the MS1, either from their website, or used in the FS forum. They often pop up for about 85 shipped. They come with an 1/8 inch jack and comfy pads, which provides a pretty balanced sound for grados. I have really sensitive ears to harsh treble and I enjoy the ms1. I really dont think you should pay more than an ms1 for the sr60. not the best idea.

And who cares if the store owners give you funny looks man? Screw them, go in there and get your kicks

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandro MS-1 is incredible headbang for the buck. 99$ SHIPPED anywhere in the world. Highly recommended.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back