Grados, One Dimensional Music Only?
Aug 11, 2003 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Schizorabbit

Head-Fier
i tested a pair of grado rs-1's last weekend, and i noticed that my dads senn' 580's were able to bring out more sound texture and detail than the rs-1's. and for 500 less!!!!!! though i did notice that the sound quality was incredible when paired with vocals and percussion. but as for calrity and crispness, the senn 580's completely surpassed the rs-1's (bass). though the rs-1's sound absolutley natural with vocals, and most of the jazz ballads i paired them with. but when put to the test with in flames, and other bands who use more than one guitar or vocal line they completley neglect it, sometimes without proper detail, somtimes its not even noticeable!!!!! for $700 thats a real let down! not to mention they're not comfortable, they cramp and chaff your ears like no other.

Aug 11, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 23
hmm... i find that the rs-1's are more detailed than my hd600s even though i can see where they can neglect subtle texture for impact.

i also find the rs-1s just as comfortable if not more so than the hd600. (i think i'm in the small minority on this though, and my ears happen to lay pretty flat against my head)

how many hours of burn in are on your rs-1's?

Aug 11, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
hmm... i find that the rs-1's are more detailed than my hd600s even though i can see where they can neglect subtle texture for impact.

i also find the rs-1s just as comfortable if not more so than the hd600. (i think i'm in the small minority on this though, and my ears happen to lay pretty flat against my head)

how many hours of burn in are on your rs-1's?

Another question, were you using bowl pads? I found the RS-1's to sound much better, have more detail and be more comfortable than the HD580 using vwap modded Sennheiser 414 pads. My ears lay pretty flat too and I don't have a problem with Grado comfort so I'm probably in the minority as well...

Also, what amp/source?

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 23
After I got my RS-1’s with vwaps modified Senn pads I put my HD600’s away and then sold them. The RS-1’s just brought the music to life and made me part of it. There’s less sound stage since you’re placed on the stage with the band. The HD600’s give you a nice relaxed view of the performance, like your in the 6th row but they didn’t convey the excitement of being where the action is- on stage with the performers.

For comfort the head band needs to be properly adjusted.

Mitch

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 23
HI: I had the RS1s and liked my SR-225 way better. but I also discovered that my SR-225 are not amp or source dependent as I feel the RS1s are. I would bet that if the RS1s had a great source and a great amp that they wound be awesome headphones. They are with out a doubt very high end headphones but not with a mediocre source and amp. I feel that the RS1s are fore the big boys and girls who have high end source and amps and wont great high end headphones like the grado RS1s.

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
After I got my RS-1’s with vwaps modified Senn pads I put my HD600’s away and then sold them. The RS-1’s just brought the music to life and made me part of it. There’s less sound stage since you’re placed on the stage with the band. The HD600’s give you a nice relaxed view of the performance, like your in the 6th row but they didn’t convey the excitement of being where the action is- on stage with the performers.

For comfort the head band needs to be properly adjusted.

Mitch

I wholeheartedly agree.

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 23
well, here we go again...defense of the overpriced RS1

1.) they probably were no broken-in
2.) you're just one of those who just can't use grados
3.) the source/amp just aren't matched well enough, but matched better for the 580's.
4.) You're experiencing the negative characteristics of the bowl pads

I'm surprised you didn't like the bass on the RS1's, that's one of it's strong points, next to it's ridiculously lush midrange. The 580/600 bass too me was flabbier, uncontrolled, and carried more weight whereas the rs1's bass to me is quick, impactful, and to the point. On the jazz ballad, this i could probably understand how you would enjoy the senn's more-so than the grados. A performance like this you'd expect smoothness and a mellow presentation, something completely out of nature for the rs1's. I find the rs1's more of a "toe tapping" headphone. Lack of detail when there's more than one guitar? uh uh, guitars, especially acoustic on the rs1's are one of the main reason why I love this headphone so much and I usually can pick out all of them (but I've been listening to grados for the past 3-4 years so that helps alot). If it's the first time you've heard a grado, give it a longer audition until your ears can fully adjust, if you're still not liking what you hear, then that's the end of it, look elsewhere.

and yes, the senn 414 or flat pads help out the detail department ALOT. the bowls just helps it give a slightly wider soundstage, but sacrifices everythng else.

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 23
i will admit that when imlisteing to bands like led zeppelin, the grados are a better phone, but i only found them better when listeing to music lacking multi-layered music. the quality between senn's and grados when listeing to anything electronic isnt even close (senn's come out far ahead), this is true for distortion as well. when listeing to the rs-1's i admit the sound is more alive, but the distortion isnt as distinct it sounds slightly muddled. which i swhy i prefer the grados for listeing to one line guitar acoustic peices, or even one line guitar rock, but when it comes to todays rock, wherein the guitarists love to lay down multiple guitar lines in the same song, the grados just dont provide distinction or clarity.

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 23
again it would be nice to know what kind of source and amp this was run on. Everyone should know that the RS1's are one of THE most heavily source/amp dependent headphones.

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 23
oh and just keep this quote in mind from the duke, while posting, "if it sounds good it is good". nothing states the sujectivity of music like that.

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

will admit that when imlisteing to bands like led zeppelin, the grados are a better phone, but i only found them better when listeing to music lacking multi-layered music. the quality between senn's and grados when listeing to anything electronic isnt even close (senn's come out far ahead), this is true for distortion as well. when listeing to the rs-1's i admit the sound is more alive, but the distortion isnt as distinct it sounds slightly muddled. which i swhy i prefer the grados for listeing to one line guitar acoustic peices, or even one line guitar rock, but when it comes to todays rock, wherein the guitarists love to lay down multiple guitar lines in the same song, the grados just dont provide distinction or clarity.

In a situation like this, you give yourself justification to keep BOTH headphones
600smile.gif

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Schizorabbit
ahh, sorry i forgot to post that the senn 580's are run off of a teac pd-d2410 cd player with NO amp.

Senn 580 without amp, it is hard to believe it will sound better the RS-1.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back