Grados losing their grip?
Sep 23, 2004 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

meesha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I have a pair of sr60's and have been noticing that the tightness of the adjustable ear phone part has been lessening. This is only after about a week of use. Is this a problem with grados I should be aware of? Is there a chance that it will totally lose its grip and just fall to the bottom?

Im gettin a wee bit worried...

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 10
the headband is made of metal and easily bends looser or more tightly.

Sep 23, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 10
mine are still fine... though it is the PS1 so it may have a different construction. (I think it does.)

If you are not satisfied with the adjustable rods, how about calling grado labs and seeing if they can fix it?

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 10
Since this metal rod - plastic holder is a friction type of a joint, it is normal that once you start to use your headphones, lessening occurs. So don't worry. It happened to all my Grados.

However in the case the lessening will gradually increase, you should either contact Grado Labs or input a sealing (something like Teflon tape or a thin layer of epoxy glue) in between a metal rod and a plastic holder to decrease the movement.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
Since this metal rod - plastic holder is a friction type of a joint, it is normal that once you start to use your headphones, lessening occurs. So don't worry. It happened to all my Grados.

However in the case the lessening will gradually increase, you should either contact Grado Labs or input a sealing (something like Teflon tape or a thin layer of epoxy glue) in between a metal rod and a plastic holder to decrease the movement.

They're a week old! He should return them.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 10
my 325s got pretty loose after a while (they would fall down when held by the band) but when in use, the friction of your head and the clamping force is more than enough to keep it into place when listening. It shouldn't really be a big problem.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 10
MY SR80's got loose after a matter of days, but not loose, loose, they just don't grab like they used to. I actually found that makes them adjust to my head better. I wouldn't return them because they're all like that, unless you want a new set of cans, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
They're a week old! He should return them.

Well, he bought them one week ago, that doesn't mean that the product itself is one week old.
wink.gif

What we don't know is the proportion of the lessening. As for me, I experienced that all my Grados were not easy to adjust when they were straight out of the box. After several days, the friction lessens to a certain level (then it stopped). The level for me is that it keeps in desired position and I need slight pressure to move it up or down.

If the original poster experiences this kind of lessening, IMO it should be ok. However (as I said) if this lessening would continue to the point that he might not be able to hold it in desired position he should follow the steps I described above.

BTW the drivers can't fall down unless you loose those black plastic caps which are mounted (glued) on the tip of each metal rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back