Grados: is this normal?
Jun 27, 2004 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

slug

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sorry if this seems terribly anal retentive or ...just odd. But I was wondering if any of you Grado owners could tell me if this is normal. I have a relatively new pair of SR225's and I recently looked into the screen where the hole in the pads are and I noticed that part of the screen is darker than the rest on both sides. I dont think they were like this when I got them and I am just wondering if anyone else experienced this? Here are some pics:

grad1.jpg
grad2.jpg

grad3.jpg
grad4.jpg

The only thing I could think of is that maybe it is the oil from the skin of my ears causing this.

Jun 27, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Yep oil it is that causes it. Sure makes me think twice about buying someone's really old Grados that have been used with flat pads for years.

Jun 27, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 5
Your ear pinna touches the mesh. For long time listening when your ears become hot, sweating regulates body temperature and also excreting nitrogenous waste products. As the result, you see the color change of the mesh.

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Its amazing how much bad stuff people's skin excretes and shed. In one day's worth of use, I can leave my headphone pads on a piece of paper and the paper will soak the grease up as if someone left greasy donuts on the paper. I usually have to degrease my ear pads so often.

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Senns and Grados aren't bad at all, compared to the leatherette style. I have to wipe leatherettes down with alcohol several times a day in order to avoid gunking up skin pores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back