Grados in Las Vegas
Dec 5, 2006 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BladeHeat

New Head-Fier
Hey there guys! first post, a bunch of questions
tongue.gif

Anyway, let me start

I'm going on a trip to Las Vegas in January, and I'd like to get a Grado ( have the SR225 in mind). So, anyone know where i can get one? I mean, a physical store, where i can go in and buy?
A e-store would do the job, but I live in South America (Brazil) and i didn't find a store that would deliver it here. You guys know any???

Besides the store, i have A LOT of questions, but first some explanation
I, 90% of my time, listen do Heavy Metal and their various sub-genres, so doing a research I found the Grados do be the best for my taste.
What you guys think? Any other sugestions?

Some complain about the Grados being unconfortable, does that really proceed?

And what about DACs and AMPs? Would they make my SR225 really shine?
what you guys recommend?
I'll be using a Computer as source, with a X-Fi Xtreme Music
My bugdet is not very high, like a Mid-Fi setup really
tongue.gif
But i'm flexible with it, so recommend away!

Thanks already for the help! And you noticed, i'm REALLY lost in this sea of DACs, AMPs, phones, etc, so forgive my noobness
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 17
On the right track! SR225 would be a great start. I sit here groovin' to Iron Maiden "Live after Death" with an SR60 plugged straight into my T43 laptop. IMHO Grados dont need much in terms of amplification. A well thought out Cmoy at 18Volts and a warm OP amp will do them justice, but of course the higher up you scale, the farther the cans will reach. I frequently use my Grados straight out of my Denon receiver, but it has a warm headphone circuit that synnergizes well with my SR60 and RS1.

Start with the cans and just enjoy the tunes.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 17
seriously what about the comfort issue though? I still cannot decide on a good pair of cans under $100, it's close between sr60/80 and hd 485. The grados probabyl have better sound, but senns are said to be wayyyy more comfortable.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 17
The comfort issue is truely dependent on the person. While I can not discount others having troubles with comfort there is just as many, if not more, people that have no such issues. I have the SR 60s and SR 325s and have had no such problems. You would have to try them to really be able to tell if they would cause you discomfort.

Dec 5, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

On the right track! SR225 would be a great start. I sit here groovin' to Iron Maiden "Live after Death" with an SR60 plugged straight into my T43 laptop.

Nice! Looking at the bands in your sig seems like i'll be enjoying my SR225 quite a bit!
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Start with the cans and just enjoy the tunes.

I guess you're right, i think i'l start with just the cans and move up the audophile scale
tongue.gif
! But AMPs and DACs recommendentions are welcomed!
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

seriously what about the comfort issue though? I still cannot decide on a good pair of cans under $100, it's close between sr60/80 and hd 485. The grados probabyl have better sound, but senns are said to be wayyyy more comfortable.

From what i could gather, Senns and Grados are like night and day! so choose wisely!

Quote:

get the Grados and, if you find them uncomfortable, bend the headband outwards so they don't clamp so hard. Then you'll be fine

Thx Skud, i'll keep that in mind
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The comfort issue is truely dependent on the person. While I can not discount others having troubles with comfort there is just as many, if not more, people that have no such issues. I have the SR 60s and SR 325s and have had no such problems. You would have to try them to really be able to tell if they would cause you discomfort.

Thx Wid for the input, but i doubt i'll find a Grado around here (or someone who knows one). I have searched quite a bit, but i guess i have to keep searching
cool.gif

Thx everyone for their input! But i need you people from Vegas to tell me a store where i can find them!!!
basshead.gif

Help!

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Wish I could help you but I haven't found a store here with a decent selection of good headphones. I'll let you know if I find one.

Thx a lot my friend! Tell me if you find any

Quote:

There is no store finder on the Grado webpage. It might be a good idea to shoot them an e-mail before going to Vegas.

i guess that's the best thing to do
cool.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I've also never found seen any Grados here in Vegas. Senns, AKG, super.fi, Shure, even Audio-Technica, but never Grado or Alessandro.

frown.gif

Are Grados this rare all around the USA???

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeHeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there guys! first post, a bunch of questions
tongue.gif

Anyway, let me start

I'm going on a trip to Las Vegas in January, and I'd like to get a Grado ( have the SR225 in mind). So, anyone know where i can get one? I mean, a physical store, where i can go in and buy?
A e-store would do the job, but I live in South America (Brazil) and i didn't find a store that would deliver it here. You guys know any???

Besides the store, i have A LOT of questions, but first some explanation
I, 90% of my time, listen do Heavy Metal and their various sub-genres, so doing a research I found the Grados do be the best for my taste.
What you guys think? Any other sugestions?

Some complain about the Grados being unconfortable, does that really proceed?

And what about DACs and AMPs? Would they make my SR225 really shine?
what you guys recommend?
I'll be using a Computer as source, with a X-Fi Xtreme Music
My bugdet is not very high, like a Mid-Fi setup really
tongue.gif
But i'm flexible with it, so recommend away!

Thanks already for the help! And you noticed, i'm REALLY lost in this sea of DACs, AMPs, phones, etc, so forgive my noobness
tongue.gif

Synchronize the order online vs your arrival in Vegas and have them delivered to your hotel address. Let the hotel know you'll be getting a package or something
rs1smile.gif
. They could probably accomodate you.

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeHeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Are Grados this rare all around the USA???

No, everyone orders online.

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 17
If you come to Vegas this friday, convince 1911 to bring my HHF-1s to the MGM Grand. I'll let you have a loooong listen at the hotel in thanks if you pry them from his vulturish talons!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back