Grados in a different housing.
Jul 14, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 14
Well I can tell you that when placed in the shell of the CD3000...they sound marvelous!

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 14
All headphone companies are massive outfits save for Grado.

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are massive companies who mainly (if I am not mistaken) sell microphones and microphone products. Sony, Koss, JVC, Panasonic...MASSIVE consumer gear among other things. Lastly AT, not sure what they do besides headphones but they certainly are a big company. Grado is pretty well a mom and pop shop, still located in a 3 story house renovated apparently where John and his fam live on the top floor, the main floor is the shop and the basement is the R&D part. Not exactly a large scale production house. Basically I am trying to say that perhaps it would cost Grado a lot to improve the body of the phones while maintaining the same sound signature.

Or I could be totally off and John simply likes the look and the sound and the profit margins he has at the moment.

Ironically, I find Grados some of the most comfortable phones. IT really is "head and ear" dependent. Sennheirsers for example typically clamp my head.

I will say this...Sony trounces everyone in the comfort area.

MDR F1, MDR 10, mmmm oh yeah, comfy!

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
SOny is all about looks and feel, sound is second.

Which is why folks like Larry take the Sony cans like the CD3k and stick Grado drivers in them
icon10.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
All headphone companies are massive outfits save for Grado.

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are massive companies who mainly (if I am not mistaken) sell microphones and microphone products. Sony, Koss, JVC, Panasonic...MASSIVE consumer gear among other things. Lastly AT, not sure what they do besides headphones but they certainly are a big company. Grado is pretty well a mom and pop shop, still located in a 3 story house renovated apparently where John and his fam live on the top floor, the main floor is the shop and the basement is the R&D part. Not exactly a large scale production house. Basically I am trying to say that perhaps it would cost Grado a lot to improve the body of the phones while maintaining the same sound signature.

Or I could be totally off and John simply likes the look and the sound and the profit margins he has at the moment.

Ironically, I find Grados some of the most comfortable phones. IT really is "head and ear" dependent. Sennheirsers for example typically clamp my head.

I will say this...Sony trounces everyone in the comfort area.

MDR F1, MDR 10, mmmm oh yeah, comfy!

According to Google:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Google Search
Manufacturer of phono cartridges, headphones, microphones and wireless systems.

Their pretty much like Shure, except rather than IEM's they make full size cans, earbuds, and clip-on phones.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Grado is pretty well a mom and pop shop, still located in a 3 story house renovated apparently where John and his fam live on the top floor, the main floor is the shop and the basement is the R&D part.

They have a shop? So you can go there and buy headphones directly from them in person?

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
They have a shop? So you can go there and buy headphones directly from them in person?

Nope they don't sell out of there, they leave that to their distributors (oh which there are a bunch in NYC)

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Are they bigger than Shure?

I meant as in what they manufacture. Shure also makes microphones, phono cartridges and whatnot. I didn't mean the IEM's.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back