Grado's GS-1000
Feb 4, 2009 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

KLS

Headphoneus Supremus
Is a display item of Grado's GS-1000 for around 650US dollar (Japanese Yen 60000) worth buying? It is almost half of the original price...

Been looking for an upgrade from my MS-1 in the mean time, just wondering I should get an amp or just upgrade to a better headphone. Any opinions?

BTW is GS-1000 sounds 'acceptable' without an amp?

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 64
stop posting here and buy those grado's
wink.gif
. they'll be cheap, mint condition, and fully burned in if they've been used often. plus if you want you can buy new pads and still make a big saving.

i like things portable, so i always use an amp.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 64
I believe anytime you spend over 250 dollars on headphones, you ought to support them with a proper amp/dac/source. Although I used the AD900s for about two years just using a PCMCIA soundcard out of a laptop.

I agree, grab those GS1000 if you like the Grado sound and have the finances to purchase them.

There are tons of threads in the Fullsize Amp forum that provide innumerable recommendations for the RS-1, GS1000 and Grado headphones.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 64
Attached is a picture of it.

I like the MS-1's sound signature, but would like to go for a new headphone which has a better soundstage. I know that 650 bucks for a GS-1000 is a big deal, but I am worry that it is a 'fake'....

Anyway, thanks for input!

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 64
Around $700 is actually the going price of used GS-1000s these days. At least on the FS board.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 64
Still can't wait for mine to arrive, they are SWEET. I would buy em!

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attached is a picture of it.

I like the MS-1's sound signature, but would like to go for a new headphone which has a better soundstage. I know that 650 bucks for a GS-1000 is a big deal, but I am worry that it is a 'fake'....

Anyway, thanks for input!

no idea who'd go through the trouble of making fake gs 1000's, but have a check under the pads for a serial number, scratched there, just in case.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 64
Ugh, the GS-1000 with a mediocre portable setup (iPod/Hornet "M") sounded just HORRIBLE. I cannot imagine what it'll sound like unamped.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 64
Hmm...someone from the german forum borrowed me his GS1K for a week, took it to a meet, we weren't so impressed. Good bass, soundstaging & detailing, but they f#cked it up by "ultrasoning" it. Unpleasant bathtub frequency curve. Bah.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 64
"Head-Fi, where some people listen to frequency curves." (TM)

On a more related note: Buy them. Amazing phones for that price. I think they are amazing for twice that amount.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 64
Mindless;5387343 said:
"Head-Fi, where some people listen to frequency curves." (TM)

X2!!!!

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 64
Ugh, I cringe thinking of playing the GS1Ks unamped. I've had the GS1Ks twice (second time off eBay for ~$650 over a year ago so I know the expectations of a deal) and IMO they aren't worth it unless you're willing to pay for the rest of the chain. And with the GS1Ks funky signature you really need to counterbalance that midrange suckout. I've mentioned before the base WA6 with 5UAx rectifiers (you really need a tubey bubble) is the cheapest I've found to accomplish it. With the majority of decent to great gear the GS1Ks are still a big problem. Make fun all you want, but there's truth to the Ultrasone comparison above... however it can be corrected.

Recommending a purchase just because it's 'a deal' isn't if you could do better spending significantly less. With the proper setup I think the GS1Ks kill all other Grados, but ampless you'd save money still getting a SR or RS and ending up with better SQ to boot.

EDIT: The only other way I think it may long term work out for you (after all you're upgrading from the MS1s so there will be at least some wows in soundstaging, sparkle and detail initially) would be if you get very good at digital EQing. You may want to experiment.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 64
I really appreciate for all the inputs and opinions. Thanks guys!

But I think that I should spend on something which does not require an amp for upgrade. Yes me myself too somehow feel what a big waste to run a GS-1000 out of a portable player without a decent amp...But definetly I would consider GS-1000 if I got a good amp.

Any suggestion on headphones with good soundstage and run well even without an amp? I am going to audition headphones this weekend so I would like to try out those which good soundstage-AD700, AD900, A900, DT770 are in my list now. Any others recommended? Preferrably not more than 250 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back