Grado's for rock?
Apr 23, 2002 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

impoeticpoet

Head-Fier
I've read that the Grado's are especially good for rock, which is what I mainly listen to.

Just wondering which would be best: SR-60's or SR-80's? I've searched the forums and can't really find a straight answer, as many have said can't tell the difference. Kind of a silly question, but they are both in my price range so I'd like to know. I'm edging towards the SR-80's because of its supposedly more prominent bass.

Thanks.

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 24
Hi I would go with the sr80's over the 60's. I have had the 60's and ended up returning them for the 80's. To me the extra price is worth it and they are great for rock. Hope this helps.

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 24
I'd go with the SR-80s. I had them both at some point and used the SR-80s for over 6months. They are a better set of cans and go well with all kinds of music.

Happy listening.

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 24
I have the SL-CT570 and have used SR40, 60, and 125 out of it with good results. You shouldn't have any problems with either headphone.

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 24
Both are very exciting, energetic-sounding headphones (the Grado sound, which is, as you said, great for rock.) The SR-60 has sharper highs, and I found it a little too bright for long listening sessions. The SR-80 is a bit smoother and the sound doesn't start to bother me before the uncomfortable bowl earpads do.

The SR-80 definitely has more midbass (it doesn't go as low as my V6) than the SR-60. Headroom's product page notes that an amp is needed for it not to sound murky, but I think it sounds great straight from my Sony D-25S.

Anyway, I prefer (and still own) the SR-80. Like RVD, I believe it's worth the extra $$ over the SR-60.

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 24
I am currently enjoying my 325s and there is no problem listening from my SLS290 panasonic or Klipsch promedia

//me and my 2 posts.. hehe

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 24
oh god damn yea!!! grado's are GREAT FOR ROCK!

well maybe except for the rs series, they may be a tad warm

however... damn they have fast active midrange, extremely detailed treble and impactful bass

this is all of them from the 60-325, and belive me they get better every step of the way up to the 325

i fell that alot of rock isn't mastered to the point where the soundstage is accurate or large anyways, so the Grado's won't affect that much at all....

you can hear details that you never heard before from alot of speakers, or other smoother veiled cans

however they are very forward, but i'm sure for rock they will rock

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 24
Please be warned that there is a nasty upper midrange veil that occurs on unamped SR-80's. If you plan on using them w/o an amp I'd either go with an SR-60 or a Sennheiser HD497. The Senn HD497 sounds similar to a SR-125, albeit with a wider soundstage and smoother highs. It doesn't quite have a Grado "front-row" sound, it has a more "second-to-third row" sound placement. But the energy and punch are the same. And the Sennheiser is more comfortable. But, it is shoddily built. If you want Grado sound, I'd splurge and get the SR-125. It's a much better headphone than the SR-80.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 24
i think that the only clear solution to this is to try them both. different people have different tastes. i spent about 4 hours demoing them both and the senn 495s at headroom (i used to live just down the street from them) and ended up with the sr60s. i thought the mids were very veiled in the 80s without an amp. i liked the 495s a lot but again without an amp i thought they were just too power hungry.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 24
As an alternative, consider the Alessandro/Grado Music Series MS-1.

For $99 with free shipping from Joe Alessandro, you get a mixture of the best qualities of the SR-80 and SR-125 (with a tiny bit of 225 thrown in for good measure). The MS-1 is reputed by some here to be a tad less forward and slightly more analytical than "standard" Grados, but it's still got that classic Grado punch and presence. At least a couple of Head-Fiers who own both the SR-125 and the MS-1 have written that they can't tell any difference at all, (except, of course, that the Alessandro is $50 cheaper purchased new).

In addition, the MS-1 comes with the comfy pads rather than the bowl pads, and I can attest from personal experience that the comfies are MUCH more comfortable than the bowls for basic fit and long listening sessions. If you want more detail without sacrificing any comfort, you can do the nickel- or quarter-sized cutout mod (although, with my cans at least, you can't do the reverse-hole mod of turning them inside out, since the comfy pads that came with my MS-1 are designed for a one-way-only fit and cannot be reversed).

Joe also offers your choice of cord termination---either a 1/4" standard phone plug or a 1/8" miniplug with a 1/4" sheath adapter. That's a nice option to have.

I'm VERY happy with my Alessandro MS-1/cha47 combo. Not only does my rig give me sweet, full, luscious music, but---given that necessity has made me a cheapo budget audiophile---the smile on my face is even broader knowing that my cans and amp together set me back only about half the price of a new SR-325.

Can't beat that with a stick.

--Bill

Apr 23, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 24
Buyer beware!
I own a pair of SR-125s as well as SR-80s and the two RS series cans.

In my opinion, the SR-125s are the most fatiguing of them all. I could not stand the harsh treble so I started upgradoing.

I'd say the SR-80s are the best in the <= $150 range.

Apr 24, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 24
...I found the 125's better mostly because of the "sorted out" bass that was somewhat more detailed and tuneful, as well as the enhanced imaging I noticed, which was less mentally fatiguing. However, looking for even better performance, I immediately went to the 225's and stayed there, happily, for a while. IMO, 225's are great for rock, just as stated on HeadRoom. Lots of people love the 325's for rock, too, but that's out of your price range.

Nowadays, I'd probably go easily for the Alessandro cans. They sound like a best buy to me.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back