Grados for Portable Use?
Jan 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on what you mean with 'portable' and in what sort of environment you live in.

Absolutely, which is why I clearly labeled what I had to say as my opinion based on my practical experiences in trying to utilize full-size Grado headphones for portable applications over the years. They simply don't work well, in my opinion, because of the reasons I listed. I feel that there are better options available. Your experience is obviously different than mine.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 25
You can go as high as the GS-1000, which I own and which I often run straight off my iPod. All Grados have 32 ohm drivers, which are easy to run. Whether you want to be caught in public wearing a pair of ear helmets is a fashion statement best answered on your own, but all of Grado's headphones sound great off an iPod (Note: I've owned the iGrado, SR60, SR80, SR325i, RS1 and GS1k's, as well as the iGrado).

There's no Grado out there that won't sound better with a decent amp. The same holds true of Sennheiser and AKG. n MI've hooked all of my headphones - including K701 and HD650 - to an M^3 amp, with a STEPS PSU. My Westone UM3X in-ear monitor and the Etymotic ER4P were the only earphones that didn't sound better with a decent amp. They simply sounded fine as-is. Everything else had a richer, fuller, sound.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 25
i use my sr80s all the time portably, just don't crank them to cover the sound around you.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 25
I use my SR60i as portable. However, I use them when I go for long walks in a very quiet neighbourhood...with hardly any foot traffic or cars. They were purchased for that purpose.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 25
The SR60s are wonderful because they're relatively cheap, easy to tweak and a knockaround headphone you can take anywhere without having to obsess over real-world damage to your expensive cans.

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR60s are wonderful because they're relatively cheap, easy to tweak and a knockaround headphone you can take anywhere without having to obsess over real-world damage to your expensive cans.

+1 grados are nice and durable. they can take more punishment than any other headphones I've owned

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #22 of 25
i used my 60s when i was a bike messenger because they were open air. i would never dare ride a bike with anything other than open air phones. i have hf2s that i use for work, because i don't like being at work and not hearing if someone starts talking to me, so i much prefer open air for office use. as for durability, i used the 60s for about 4 months as a messenger and they held up. i doubt most people put there phones through that much.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing to do with headphones is a necessity. Many put up with in-ear phones costing £2.50
smily_headphones1.gif

The Grado 125s are just way to thin and frail without a portable amp, to ever make it as anyone's solo headphones on the go. For the undiscriminating, I'm sure they're fine without a portable amp with Frank Sinatra or something... They aren't as easy to drive as the Sennheiser HD25 Mark IIs; their bass is flat and uninvolving without an amp playing a wide spectrum of music; they fall of my head when jogging, and they do leak very much in quiet environments: all non-portable qualities.

Stillm I like my Grado 125s for what I paid for them. They are very lightweight, and they are perfect headphones for falling asleep on - they're more comfortable than the HD25 Mark IIs in that respect. Yes - with a JMoney headband, they still fall off but they can be put back on easily
smily_headphones1.gif

The SR125 or any other Grado with the exception of the iGrado and the GR8, are not a good choice for portable use because they don't provide noise attenuation. They let sound in and leak it out. This means that you have to increase the volume if you want to hear your music properly when outside, and this is not advisable if you value your hearing. It can also be a source of irritation to the people around you, who may not share your taste in music. All in my opinion of course.

I can replace "necessity" with "required" if that would prevent you from stating the bleeding obvious while attempting to appear clever.

I presume that "For the undiscriminating" refers to those who do not share your opinion of how Grado's sound unamped. I suggest that you consider qualifying your opinions accordingly, as I wouldn't want people confusing them with fact.

Are you quoting the latter part of my post for any particular reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back