Grados: Do the 325i's have the best detail?
Feb 9, 2006 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
Speaking strictly about detail, do the 325i's have the best detail out of any other Grado?

Most Grados are regarded as being harsh, or to bright, especially the 125, and 325i, but if you wanted a set with awesome detail, but wanted the Grado sound to, can any other top the 325i?
cool.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Speaking strictly about detail, do the 325i's have the best detail out of any other Grado?

Most Grados are regarded as being harsh, or to bright, especially the 125, and 325i, but if you wanted a set with awesome detail, but wanted the Grado sound to, can any other top the 325i?
cool.gif

I'd say that at least RS-1 has better details. SR325i is just simply awfully bright.

Brightness and details are two different things.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 24
The age old argument about whether the Grados are too bright. IMHO and partnered with the right amp (I am using a PPX SLAM) I do not think the Grados are awfully bright - obviously it comes down to preferences and I prefer accuracy above all else and I think the Grados do this very well.
J

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicks7
The age old argument about whether the Grados are too bright. IMHO and partnered with the right amp (I am using a PPX SLAM) I do not think the Grados are awfully bright - obviously it comes down to preferences and I prefer accuracy above all else and I think the Grados do this very well.
J

[OT]
I was talking about SR325i, not the whole line. SR325i is the only model which I've found to be too bright for my taste. So read more carefully before replying.
[/OT]

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 24
I was referring to the 325is. Sorry, I misread your thread and thought you were stating it as fact that they were too bright rather than in your own opinion which is obviously what you meant.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 24
325i and ms2 are about the same in details, in my opinion. if u want something more aggressive, u should go with grados, otherwise, alessandros.

if u can take 225s, i think u can take the harshness of 325s as well.

those aluminium cups are a bit heavy...

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 24
To me, the SR225's had the most "detail", with the best high frequency responce (shimmered when you needed the shimmer). The RS-1's however had great detail in the mid-upper range, more separation and layering, but they just didnt have that sparkle to the highs that the SR225's did so well (Rs-1's seems to be rolled off up top in comparison to the SR225's) . The SR325i's, to me, didnt posses the detail of the SR225's or the RS-1's, but rather a different signature all round. They were slightly less rolled off compared to the RS-1's, but still not as extended as the SR225's, the one thing they were tho was bright and fatiguing, thus the reason i never kept them.

I still feel the SR225 is the most balanced can in the current Grado lineup.

Rhydon

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 24
I have the RS-1 and the 225 and agree with Rhydon. The 225 has more detail than the RS-1 and 325i. But they tends to be more aggressive also, unless you use flats with them.

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
robm321,

You are wrong.

And why is he wrong?

Feb 10, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I have the RS-1 and the 225 and agree with Rhydon. The 225 has more detail than the RS-1 and 325i. But they tends to be more aggressive also, unless you use flats with them.

Well, I just got back from Harvey Eletronics, and I brought home a shinny new SR325i!
tongue.gif

I am letting them run for a few days, but after 5 hours of hard rock music, and just selling two SR225's, I would have to say that the 325i's are more detailed than the 225.

The bass is tighter, and the overall sound is just so much more seperated! My only complaint is that they are a bit heavy, but I can get used to that, as long as they sound awesome, and so far it looks like I will be wearing them for a long time!
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 24
I auditioned the 225's when I bought my 325i's and I thought the 325i's were more detailed than the 225's. I liked them both but to me the 225's did not seem to have the clairity either. The seemed a little distorted on the bottom end. I didn't have the opportunity to hear the
RS1's or RS2's or I probably would have bought them. I don't thing the 325i's are heavy at all and I am perfectly comfortable using them. I also don't think they are too bright either, (but my ears are 51 years old and as you get older you naturally loose some of your high frequency's). I also liked the fact that they were aluminum and had leather head band pad. I seems like you are getting a little more quality for the money.. My plans are to buy another pair or two of Grados just to change back and forth. Possibly 225's and 80's. Ultimately I will get a pair of RS1's, but I hope I can hold out for a couple of years.............

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 24
In my experience, and I've owned every single Grado can except for RS-2s (I've also owned MS-2i and MS-1s), the RS-1 is probably the most detailled, right in front of the sr325i, and then again, not by much at all IMHO.

The RS-1s have better soundstage and instrumental separation, so rather than having the typical "all instruments in one space (or almost)" that alot of lower-end Grados have, you get a sound clearer than with the other models. Not only is there more air between the notes but this helps alot with sound distinction, and thus results in better detailling overall.

The SR325 (silver ones, not the 325i) were my favorite Grados before the new model (325i) was out because IMHO, the metallic housing gave electric guitars a "grinding" feeling, I can't find another expression but "metallic sounding" sounds about right. After selling my sr325, I owned a pair of RS-1s for awhile and incredibly missed these "metallic sounding" electric guitars (hendrix seriously never sounded so incredible) so I sold my RS-1s and bought silver 325s again, and was a happy man. That's of course until the sr325i came out (shortly after I bought my second pair of silver 325s too).

The gold 325is come in a metallic housing as well, so I was sure to keep this awesome "metallic sounding guitar" but what really got my to buy a pair was the redesigned housing. The new size and width gave more air and space to the music and thus resulted in something very close to the RS-1s detail-wise and instrumental separation/airness-wise, while keeping the awesome grinding metal electric sound I loved for guitars.

Since then my pair of 325i and I live happy together
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back