Grados: Bowls or Flats
Feb 9, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Then there's the camp that feels Senn 414 pads achieve that middle ground between bowls and flats... I'm one of them, BTW.

ditto, and they're cheap, so there's really not much of a loss if you try them and don't like them

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #17 of 47
my mini review cut and paste from the other thread

I got my flats today, and imediately removed them from their packaging and installed them. Good Bye Bowls!

First things first, Bowls are gone these are my new pads indefinately, I prefer this sound over the bowls. Both pads have weaknesses and strengths. I will try to describe the differences best I can.

These pads are being used with my Grado SR-80's

One of the major draw backs to the bowls were the greatly enhanced sibilance. Top end sizzle was very apparent. These would be the equivelant of Klipsch speakers in the home theater world. efficient but bright.

Massive coloration in sound for EVERTHING, except stringed instruments.
Some consider this "Fun" sounding and enjoy the brightness of the Grado bowl sound. Notice I did not call this the Grado sound, but the Grado Bowl sound.

Guitars, violins, harps sound very natural with bowls, passing the Classical music test with flying colors.

but

Vocals suffer from too much top end sizzle, the dread "S" sound made me cringe every time it was used in vocals. So much that the sound was no where near natural but altered greatly in a negative way. I would assume, those with singing backgrounds will know exactly what I am talking about.

Piano music was also very unnatural, too much detail was revealed, during a piano solo, its normal to hear the pedal being pressed subtly, but the Grados enhanced this too well, to the point that a slight "thuck" of the step, sounded like a tiny "clack" and loud enough to distract from the overall enjoyment of the piano session. Hearing the "clack" every 5 seconds made it unbearable to listen too.

So you can imagine me tearing open the Todds Vinyl box and quickly attaching the flats.

The outcome? the top end sizzle is 95% gone, along with a lot of the detail. mid/bass frequecies are greatly enhanced, and the highs are recessed. How much? the highs are recessed A LOT. Almost as if the woofer is next to you while the tweeter is at a distance. Not as imbalanced as the bowls, but much noticeably darker and warm. I would describe the sound as bloomy with the flats while the bowls would be described as sizzle.

These don't even sound like the same headphones, who would have guessed switching foam pads created an entirely new sound.

Vocals are 100 times better, much more real, it actually sounds like natural voices. Its exactly how I would picture a voice would sound running through a microphone. The intimacy is gone, the closeness is gone, but the trade off is a much more natural sound. A REAL sound.

I popped in some classical music, all the detail is lost, stringed instruments are muddier and less defined, with the bowls it sounded as if I was sitting right dab in the middle of the all musicians and they were sitting about 1 foot away from me. Now it sounds like Im in the fifth row, where details is naturally lost in a concert setting. Once again the intimacy is lost with the flats, still sounding more natural, but not as delicate and detailed.

Instead of a "twang" the bowls created... I get a "Thuck" sound with the flats. Its the equivelant of comparing the sound of a violin to a cello.
the bowls would be the violin and the flats would be the cello.

with the piano.. the flats win no doubt, a much more accurate representation of the natural piano sound is exhibited with the flats, I can now listen to piano solos enjoyably, no annoying pedal steps stand out... I just here the warmth of the piano and the notes flowing through the air. Doesnt sound too clean and sharp anymore, but dirty and darker. Characteristics closer to the sound of a live piano.

Those that own Grados and hate the shrill and sibilance, definately give the flats a try, its like buying a new pair of headphones with a $30 upgrade. Its that different. I am serious when I say, the bowls and flats dont even sound like the same headphones.

The flats arent perfect either, but listener fatigue is greatly minimized, the slimmer cushions are also more comfortable then the bowls. Less "Head Vice" feeling and more padded feeling . But I have to admit, with both flats or bowls.. Grado headphone " signature sounds" are not for me. both are far too colored for my tastes, but the flats provide a wider amount of material to get by sounding more natural then the bowls.

I can see why the Bowls are "Stock" since its definately a unique sound signature that provides a lot of detail, while the flats are more of a common sound that doesnt stand out as much.

The bowls can be described as a "staying out on a hot smog-free summer day, but hot enough to get sunburned"

While the flats can be described as a "Cold wintery day, and you're staying home budled up in layers of clothing sipping hot chocolate"

RnB out

Feb 9, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #18 of 47
There is no answer... it's ALL circumstantial.

It depends on the music, your source, you mood, your model of grados, your amp, etc...

For instance, I have an SR-225. While listening out of my iPod, unamped, bowls are incredibly harsh, so I use flats. But when I'm listening out of a CDP and amp, the bowls provide better and cleaner bass than the flats, and the highs aren't harsh because the source is much nicer.

When I'm listening to techo, it's flats.
Strings, classical, jazz... bowls.
Rock: bowls or flats, it depends on the artist. Coheed and Cambria: Bowls. Sevendust: Flats.

The best advice I can give is just buy flats. It literally takes 5 seconds to switch the pads. Try them both out, with different sources and music, then you decide on your own. You may end up just keeping one pair, or you might have both of them around, and use them both very frequently, like myself.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 47
I agree with the stringed instruments..
bowls are better for that.

but the IMO the flats just handle every thing else better, the bowls tear up human vocals so harshly.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #20 of 47
This discussion just goes to prove how impossible it is to call anything the "best". Many people have stated here that they prefer the bowls, at least for certain knds of music. In my opinion Grados with bowls are simply unlistenable but Grados with flats are may favorite headphones for any kind of music.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #21 of 47
I had no idea there'd be such a wide range of opinion on the matter, but I'm finding that's the case with just about every hi-fi issue.

One thing though . . . no one posted the link to Todd's pads.

Feb 9, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanr
I had no idea there'd be such a wide range of opinion on the matter, but I'm finding that's the case with just about every hi-fi issue.

One thing though . . . no one posted the link to Todd's pads.

http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=167

but you could always just click on "Todd" in our sponsor links above too - roam around in there, it's fun to get lost in the ether!

Feb 9, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 47
Bowls are only good for collecting dust and eating cornflakes out of.
tongue.gif

My flats work fabulously with female vocals, e.g. Dido, Shania Twain, various pop divas and others. Sibilants are fine, there is minimal grain, and overall it's like they're sitting in front of me and leaning forward towards me. *swoon*

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 47
I have the RS-1 and just got my flats. Sorry, but I didn't really like the new sound. Too much bass, no soundstage at all, the nice airy sound is gone, and the highs and details are reduced.

I can see the added bass being a good the on the SR-225, but the RS-1 already have great bass and are very balanced.

I guess I'll put them up for sale.

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #25 of 47
I just got my Alessandro MS-2s a week or so ago. (I have the new version)

I have to agree with RnB's assessment. When I got these headphones they seemed a little too bright. Specifically, the "s" in voices was very strong. It was not natural at all, and quite annoying to be honest. I had to listen to the headphones turned down in volume to be able to handle the incredibly bright "s". (And I don't listen very loud normally, either)

I decided to get Todd's flat pads for $30 bucks. I put them on immediately, and they have made a HUGE difference. The "s" problem is almost completely gone. There is a lot more bass. The highs do seem to be a bit muffled now though.

All in all, I prefer the flats a LOT more to the bowl pads. I do have a bright setup though, so that could have something to do with my observations.

Honestly, I think the perfect pad would be 3/4ths flat pad and 1/4th bowl pad. Most of the flat's bass + a little more "unmuffled" highs. I think that would be great. Between the two however, I definately prefer the flats.

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by perfektrtw
Honestly, I think the perfect pad would be 3/4ths flat pad and 1/4th bowl pad. Most of the flat's bass + a little more "unmuffled" highs. I think that would be great. Between the two however, I definately prefer the flats.

I agree. I had a chance to try the bowls and flats with the SR-60, SR-80 and RS-1. The flats definitely bring out the bass and sweeten up the midrange. I think they do a bit too much for the bass. At some point (I don't know where/when) I read that if you turn the bowls around you get the best height away from the drivers. I think some people have even cut down the bowls. The only problem with flipping the bowls is comfort. The holes are too big and my ears fall in and it feels awkward. If the flats were a little thicker I think it would be the best situation, for me at least. But if I had to pick, I'd go with the flats on the SR-60/80. I'm not sure about the RS-1 though...I couldn't decide (probably the flats).

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by perfektrtw

Have you tried modded HD414 or modded comfies (they sound pretty good to me). The modded comfies are closer to the bowls while the modded senns are closer to the flats, with flats and bowls on the extreme of the spectrum relatively speaking
biggrin.gif
. Try the senns in particular since it fits your ideal nicely.

Feb 12, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanr
Hey all, does anyone know the definitive word on which pads are better and why?

it depends on the ears. the bowls fit very comfotably around my ears where the flats are very uncomfortable. i also perfer a brighter tight sound, so i prefer the emphasized highs and slimmer but tighter lows.

Feb 13, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
I agree. I had a chance to try the bowls and flats with the SR-60, SR-80 and RS-1. The flats definitely bring out the bass and sweeten up the midrange. I think they do a bit too much for the bass. At some point (I don't know where/when) I read that if you turn the bowls around you get the best height away from the drivers. I think some people have even cut down the bowls. The only problem with flipping the bowls is comfort. The holes are too big and my ears fall in and it feels awkward. If the flats were a little thicker I think it would be the best situation, for me at least. But if I had to pick, I'd go with the flats on the SR-60/80. I'm not sure about the RS-1 though...I couldn't decide (probably the flats).

I have the RS-1 and find that the flat bass is to muddy and the grado "sound" is gone, but the bowl is just to bright and lack bass IMO. I like the bowl reverse, the most...tame the treb and increase the bass while maintaning a good soundstage. Now if only i can get the bowl shaved down alittle then i would be happy, reverse bowl hole is to big...kinda awkward looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back