Grado's are ugly!
Dec 13, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 101
I wouldn't wear them in public either, but everyone who's seen my RS-1s was intrigued and thought they were interesting. I haven't gotten one "ugly" comment yet.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #17 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by raid517
Ahh... I have a pair of PortaPros. Are they supposed to any good? Do you guys rate them?

They're quite good IMO, if you can deal with the exaggerated bass. Probably the darkest sounding headphone on the market. I only listen to mine portably, since they're outclassed in every way by my other headphones.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 101
Quote:

Well I haven't stretched them yet like I was saying. The crunching/munching sound only kicks in on defective sets at moderately high to high volume levels. I've got them at just below that level right now - so I'm going to do this breaking in thing at moderate-ish volume levels before trying - so there are still several hours left on them to go. (Even though I think what needs breaking in is probably people's heads rather than the phones).
GJ

Yeah I wouldn't do any of that breaking in stuff at all - just listen to them normally and after 40-50 hours of normal listening they should be good to go. Someone here once blasted Bass Test Tones at his poor MS-Pros "above listening levels" and blew out the drivers. Not fun.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #19 of 101
Visual mods to the RS-1 are sac·ri·le·gious. If you can afford to even use these on the go - just be happy man!
rs1smile.gif
I wish I could afford a pair simply for home use!
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #20 of 101
I remember going into Bay Bloor radio, before i was in head-fi, and seeing the RS-2 up for display.... i thought it was the most eccentric, beautiful, stunning, avant garde form of design i had ever seen in headphones!!!

The grado's have a look, thats what matters! unlike some of the chinese mannufactures which shall remain nameless. I think Grado has a cool style going for them. They're unique.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #21 of 101
Quote:

Ahh... I have a pair of PortaPros. Are they supposed to any good? Do you guys rate them? I haven't really used them much, as normally for portable use I go with my Etymotic ER4P's.

But in the occasional rare setting, such as flying, trains, parks and possibly relaxing vacations, I would probably like to take my Grado's with me.

GJ

for travel use, I have to say the UE. EBs are alot of fun. The bass is amazing and just fun alround. The sound is colored but as long as you know this and are in the park or in airplane I think that are great. I got a new pair for $175 shipped but that was in the US. Comp-U-Plus.

Thank you for placing an order at Comp-U-Plus.

Your order # 1197515 was received on November 30, 2005 at 8:50 AM Eastern Time.

Your order included the following items:

1Ultimate Ears super.fi 5EB Black Earphones - IF-P5ESB0003-02

Total amount:$175.99

Showing http://keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ref=FROOGLE&ID=615353
as having them for $165 shipped. Damn it.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #22 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I wouldn't wear them in public either, but everyone who's seen my RS-1s was intrigued and thought they were interesting. I haven't gotten one "ugly" comment yet.

Lol, don't you think they are just being polite?

My wife for one wasn't quite so polite.

I believe that just after she stopped laughing, her approximate words were:

Quote:

You're not feking wearing those when you're out with me!

So you can kind of see my dilema.

GJ

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 101
Quote:

Ahh... I have a pair of PortaPros. Are they supposed to any good? Do you guys rate them? I haven't really used them much, as normally for portable use I go with my Etymotic ER4P's.

But in the occasional rare setting, such as flying, trains, parks and possibly relaxing vacations, I would probably like to take my Grado's with me.

GJ

If you have some decent IEM's why would you want to take such an expensive open can for listening in those noisy envoirnments?? If you want a over ear style can as a second portable option get some Dt770, k271, or A900. Just my 2¢

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 101
Wearing a wide open, unfirmly on head, and cost $700 headphone on street?
It's more like putting two ipods in chest pocket with hopeful "I wish I won't slip on concrete ground today" or sorta...

You like the sound, but you WILL cry if you get a bloody scratch on your beautiful wooden cans.

In public, use the In-Ears, not opens please.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
If you have some decent IEM's why would you want to take such an expensive open can for listening in those noisy envoirnments?? If you want a over ear style can as a second portable option get some Dt770, k271, or A900. Just my 2¢

The answer to that is of course, because I can.

And they are still likely to sound better than other phones in that environment.

I want to know I can get my money's worth out of them, rather than just always wearing them in my home. I have my own music room, so there isn't so much need to wear them when I'm in my house.

GJ

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by S.W.
Wearing a wide open, unfirmly on head, and cost $700 headphone on street?
It's more like putting two ipods in chest pocket with hopeful "I wish I won't slip on concrete ground today" or sorta...

You like the sound, but you WILL cry if you get a bloody scratch on your beautiful wooden cans.

In public, use the In-Ears, not opens please.

Well maybe that is a good reason to find a better way to cover them up and protect them...

GJ

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #27 of 101
Quote:

A900s arent really a choice. You can't walk and wear them. They are too big and will just fall off. And if you think you are getting looks with RS-1s. lol.. forgetaboutit.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #28 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
A900s arent really a choice. You can't walk and wear them. They are too big and will just fall off. And if you think you are getting looks with RS-1s. lol.. forgetaboutit.

I'm not talking about the looks... if fashion is the concern ipod buds should be the trendy choice. Wearing open cans in noisy environments like planes and trains just seems worthless IMO. I had to crank the volume on my DT770 when I flew with them and they are sealed... I can't imagine the noise that would come in and go out if I had my PS-1 with me.

Everyone should listen how they want but most like listening at home because of the better gear and more focused detail one can get from a quiet environment. Open cans may be ok for parks and things like that but for travel they would be my last pick.

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #29 of 101
i don't see why people care about public views so much. I'll wear my SR-80's or HF-1's whilst grocery shopping. Do i get stares like "What is THAT on your head?"... sure, but then again I give them the look like "i'm listening to some great cans and great music... you aren't" however that look looks... probably something like
rs1smile.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

Everyone should listen how they want but most like listening at home because of the better gear and more focused detail one can get from a quiet environment. Open cans may be ok for parks and things like that but for travel they would be my last pick.

OK.. lol. have you owned the A900s?

These aren't a portable option. You can't wear these heaphone and go for a walk they come loose and fall off.. The fact they were really big and look funny is just humorous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back