Grado's any good for hip-hop?
Apr 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 55
I am 99% sure he is saying that based on what he has read. I think it is going to be his next headphone purchase, so he trolls threads saying to get AKG K701, Grado SR-60 and Denon D2000.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 55
I'm hoping to grab a pair of SR125 off a head-fi member tonight so I'll let you know how I think about it with old school hiphop. Strangely, enough I've been really liking my AKGs with stuff like Dead Prez and Black Star. The weaker bass is providing for a different and enjoyable experience. This is why I need more phones, I like how stuff sounds different even if Can A doesn't fit Music B, it's nice to mix it up a bit.

I also liked the ATH-M50 as well when I listened to hip hop and drum n bass, but I ultimately settled on the Sony MDR-7506 instead (though I wouldn't recommend them for hip hop).

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are fantastic for rock music...They are the king headphones for rock music. Hiphop music are for other brands. For present music I recommend the Denons. For your budget, Denon D2000 is the key-its an audiophile headphone meant for current music. But if you want to rock music-Grados are unbeatable.

Dammit, I was hoping I could come here and do a mock VALIENTE post before you actually showed up.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is going to be his next headphone purchase, so he trolls threads saying to get AKG K701, Grado SR-60 and Denon D2000.

I'm sorry Stang, my next headphone purchase will be Jerry Harvey's JH13.
biggrin.gif
Wanna join me?
icon10.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #20 of 55
I have no problem with him recommending headphones he hasn't heard, as long as he states so.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've recommended to someone that they look into an MS1i, for instance, if they're looking for a neutral, open headphone at around $100. It's what I plan on buying next, so I've done a bit of research on it, and from what I've read it fits perfectly with the sound signature the OP in that thread was looking for. I made absolutely clear that I do not own, nor have I ever heard, an MS1i however. If Valiente has never heard a D2000, he should say so.
atsmile.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry Stang, my next headphone purchase will be Jerry Harvey's JH13.
biggrin.gif
Wanna join me?
icon10.gif

Oh, good. Then you can stop upgrading and your declarations of perfection will be far closer to the truth.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #22 of 55
Thanks a lot for all your help guys. I want to get serious about producing. I kind of have been semi-serious, starting off on the software side but it just gets on my nerves. I'm ready to go hands on.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #23 of 55
If you are producing, that opens up a whole different world of questions.

Get away from the Grados.

What you need is something that will have solid bass response, but also delivers a reasonably balanced and accurate response across the sound spectrum. That way, you can listen to well-recorded music and really get a feel for how it is put together and mixed, then can go and replicate that balanced sound.

As far as recommendations go for this... I'm not sure. Some may still echo the M50 recommendation, and perhaps the right Ultrasone, but I don't have enough experience with any of the cans you want to look at for this.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 55
thanks a lot joel I'll look into it. And you're exactly right: I love to dig into the tracks and discover some of the little secrets of production. Granted I get the MPC I'll mostly sampling vinyls and i'm sure these headphones you recommend would be perfectly suited for that also.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #25 of 55
Yup... Grados are definitely not what you want exclusively for hip-hop, although that East Coast Native Tongues stuff with actual instrumentation instead of drum machines and synthetic heavy low-end (that's actual upright bass you hear on 'Low-End Theory') goes reasonably well with them. I can attest, because I have heard Grados and Denons and love a lot of hip-hop: you should like the Denon D2000's. If Roker comes around these parts, I'm sure he will have interesting things to say, as he loves hip-hop and, until recently, was mainly using an SR-125(i) and D2000.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Roker comes around these parts, I'm sure he will have interesting things to say, as he loves hip-hop and, until recently, was mainly using an SR-125(i) and D2000.

LOL I'm buying those Grados off of him tonight.
k701smile.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 55
Good stuff. Roker is a fine fellow to converse and do business with. Enjoy the 125's! He really loved those things.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #28 of 55
yea i think you should look else where than Grados. You should consider the Ultrasone HFI 780s or something in the Beyerdynamics line up. I was looking for some cans for hip hop (like you were) and I ended up buying some beyer dt770s and I just bought an amp for them last night. I have my beyers now and im just waiting for my amp!

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #29 of 55
I have a pair of RS1i (also had SR225i for about a week before upgrading) and I would not recommend them for hip-hop with stock bowls, which are the only way I've listened to them. Flats or electrical tape mod should give more bass, but having said that, if hip-hop comprises of most of your listening, I would look elsewhere.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #30 of 55
Yea I do have lots of live instrumentation like erykah badu and the roots etc. but it's really hard to come by these days, most of my albums are just production sound, not live. Thanks for the recs. I just kinda got caught up by the whole grado love, they sound like a real genuine set of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back