Grado's any good for hip-hop?
Apr 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

OldSchool969

New Head-Fier
Sorry guys, I've been doing tons and tons of research all over and I came across a couple similar threads on this subject but I'm just totally overwhelmed: I've never bought a set of high end headphones.

The type of Hip Hop I listen to is mostly oldschool stuff like Q-Tip/Tribe Called Quest or underground stuff like Madlib. I love guys like him who just sample the **** out of records and I get to really explore the original vinyls through his stuff.

I'm really leaning towards the SR225's, my price range is about $150-$300, and what I like about Grado's is the 1/4 jack...I'm looking to buy an MPC(beat machine for those who aren't familiar) and have some fun but first I need the cans man!

What I'm really concerned about though is that Grados won't be fitting to that type of[hip hop] music. I hear a lot of people compliment how classical music sounds godly on them, but that's not quite my bag. But at the same I'm becoming an audiophile in the since that I always pick out the samples from the old records on these tracks that I listen to and I'll literally listen to one song every day for like 2 weeks sometimes.

Anyways, last thing: Bass. People talk about other sets of cans that will give you more bass, but you could imagine through all of the reading and research that it makes it out to sound like grado's might not have enough bass. Let me say I'm really not a fan of huge, bumping bass. I just want to make sure that these grado's can reproduce all of the bass that is put into these hip hop tracks.

Sorry for the essay but I'm just getting sick almost of doing research and I thought I'd finally let it out and get some opinions.

Thanks guys.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 55
I think Alessandro will suit your music taste better than the original Grados (better bass and less bright treble). My MS1i is on its way, will give it a try with some hip-hop/grime
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 55
well I've got 225i's, and i love them to death for rock due to their great mids, but in my opinion they don't have the bass needed for hiphop. Granted I'm not really familiar with the artists you listed, so I don't know how bass heavy they are, but I'd probably be checking out something more like the ATH-m50 or the denon ahd2000.

I'm not sure who told you classical music sounds godly on them...I'd much prefer the 325s due to the increased treble etc for classical or jazz.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 55
I've had/heard many of the Grado line-up. They are a bit colored, favoring string based instruments like guitars mainly, but do sound good with almost any music I tried. No heavy bass, but it does go low and in good quality. For this reason it's most not seen as the first choice for hip-hop but I think they do fine there.
They are good with instruments and vocals and will definitely be good to listen to the unknown sampled tracks you'll find which most of the time are taken from other genres.

The SR125 (probably closest to the 225) did take some time to get the bass out, sounding light just after I purchased them but they turned out pretty nice.

If possible try listening to one to be sure, but Grado makes some fine headphones. For producing/mixing etc you may want to look at a bit more neutral headphones though (if you are going to be serious about it).

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 55
You might not want huge, muddy bass, but you will want deep bass. The Grados I have (SR60i, HF2) roll off pretty severely around 50Hz. While that's not bad (comparable to semi-cheap subwoofer-less speakers as far as I know), you'll get deeper bass from other headphones. Like a Denon D2000 (I've not experience with it).

This is at my low volume level. If you listen louder (shame on you!) then it might sound better than I think it does.

Besides the depth, the bass has good punch and is pretty detailed. I didn't know headphones were capable of producing a convincing kick drum until I got the SR60i. It's also relatively fast. You won't get bass speed like these alongside much greater depth in affordable headphones. They get most of their speed and punch from lack of sub-bass.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 55
I've only heard the MS1, and the RS1, but judging from those, I'm pretty confident that the 225 will be able to give you adequate bass. Again, can't speak for the 225, but putting TTVJ flat pads on the RS1 increases bass a bit, and would likely do the same for the 225.

I actually think Grados would do quite well with old school hip-hop, as it seems to have a lot more interesting stuff going on with the mid and high range than more modern hip hop music.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 55
I didn't like the flats, made the sound too muddy and closed in for my tastes.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might not want huge, muddy bass, but you will want deep bass. The Grados I have (SR60i, HF2) roll off pretty severely around 50Hz. While that's not bad (comparable to semi-cheap subwoofer-less speakers as far as I know), you'll get deeper bass from other headphones.

Grados tend to roll off very quickly at the 100hz mark (a whole octave higher), actually. Whilst I agree with the sentiment that grados are not the best choice for hiphop (in fact I haven't heard a grado I really liked), the slight V shape in the frequency response (especially when coupled with the impact of the midbass) lends itself quite well to mid-bassy genres, and not to genres that require more balanced responses like trance, classical or jazz.

Theyre not bad for hiphop IME, but I think there are better options out there (and these options are not necessarily bassy headphones, as I hate the conception that hiphop thrives on bass).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only heard the MS1, and the RS1, but judging from those, I'm pretty confident that the 225 will be able to give you adequate bass. Again, can't speak for the 225, but putting TTVJ flat pads on the RS1 increases bass a bit, and would likely do the same for the 225.

I actually think Grados would do quite well with old school hip-hop, as it seems to have a lot more interesting stuff going on with the mid and high range than more modern hip hop music.

Same experience here (MS1 and MSpro). I am also quite confident that the amount of bass above 100hz is ample, but the headphone will struggle below that (talking about the MS1, I didnt have enough time to try this stuff out with an mspro).

I still think there are better alternatives though (because I don't like the grado sound at all).

Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't like the flats, made the sound too muddy and closed in for my tastes.

That's funny, you just described the grado sound
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 55
Of the two headphones I own in your price range, I personally enjoy hiphop with SRH840 does more than I do with the SR225. Depending on where I am at (work (SR225) or on the go (SRH840)), I listen to hiphop with some regularity and it's fine on both, but noticeably but not overwhelmingly more oomphy with the SRH840. The nice thing about the SRH840 is that it'll do great with non-bassy tracks as well. 840 is pretty neutral, unless you've got an amp... then the bass gets a bit too strong for me and the SRH840 loses some of its versatility.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 55
It works well with my RS1 provided that they're equipped with the flats (which is 80% of the time).

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Same experience here (MS1 and MSpro). I am also quite confident that the amount of bass above 100hz is ample, but the headphone will struggle below that (talking about the MS1, I didnt have enough time to try this stuff out with an mspro).

Would quarter mod and an amp fix that? I just bought a pair of MS1i :S Plus old-school hip-hop IMO needs punchy bass (rather than deeeeeeep bass like the mainstream stuff) and clear treble too!

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobiiee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would quarter mod and an amp fix that? I just bought a pair of MS1i :S Plus old-school hip-hop IMO needs punchy bass (rather than deeeeeeep bass like the mainstream stuff) and clear treble too!

I dunno man, as tempting as it was to mutilate my friends headphone I have no idea
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 55
Grados are fantastic for rock music...They are the king headphones for rock music. Hiphop music are for other brands. For present music I recommend the Denons. For your budget, Denon D2000 is the key-its an audiophile headphone meant for current music. But if you want to rock music-Grados are unbeatable.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 55
I wouldn't really call the D2000 an audiophile set of cans, as it has many issues such as the poor cable quality and the 'need' for the MarkL mod, also the plastic cups are quite cheap. But anyway, for hip hip, I would probably go with a Denon or Ultrasone, as they both have very nice bass when modded.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are fantastic for rock music...They are the king headphones for rock music. Hiphop music are for other brands. For present music I recommend the Denons. For your budget, Denon D2000 is the key-its an audiophile headphone meant for current music. But if you want to rock music-Grados are unbeatable.

Valiente, just curious; have you listened to the D2000, or are you saying that based on what you've read?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back