Grados and Sonys the new hipster headphones?
Nov 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

GarageBoy

100+ Head-Fier
So it seems like a lot of people are buying them based on looks. I've seen a bunch of guys with their ironic beards, skinny jeans, flannel and ironic t shirts at Starbucks not listening to their Grados and V7506s but merely wearing them around their necks...
Anyone else notice this?

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarageBoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it seems like a lot of people are buying them based on looks. I've seen a bunch of guys with their ironic beards, skinny jeans, flannel and ironic t shirts at Starbucks not listening to their Grados and V7506s but merely wearing them around their necks...
Anyone else notice this?

Better than ipod earbuds, right? At least being trendy might as well sound decent.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 65
Sony seems a bit 'mainstream' for hipsters, though.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 65
they buy grados because its been featured in many music magazines that they read...the same thing goes for the px100, the portapro and probably in the future shure 240/440/840

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Until they give you dirty looks for having them and being 'uncool' or when they say 'oh these? I've had them for years'

Well, considering that I'm currently wearing teal skinny jeans, have a huge beard, thick black-frame glasses, and my girlfriend wears leopard print and keffiyehs, I don't think I'm in danger of the dirty looks from hipsters. :p

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Anyone else notice this?

Your typical audiophile?
normal_smile .gif

givequiche.jpg

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Anyone else notice this?

Yes. Most of them also have crappy fixed gear bikes locked up outside as well.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 65
Sonys have always been popular in Toronto. I occasionally see a Grado from time to time... mostly around my neck, though.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 65
It definitely does seem like more and more people on campus are wearing Grados. I don't know if I should be pleased by this because more are buying higher quality headphones or I should be repulsed because they're ugly.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 65
Some of the newer Sony's are actually pretty slick looking. If my Grados looked like that, I could probably sell them to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back