Grado
Mar 24, 2010 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

buddymydog

New Head-Fier
Hows the bass in the sr225's? anyone got any experience with them, I hear they are great rock headphones. My son has the sr125 and they sound great except for the complete lack of Lows. Even my Sennheiser px100ii has better bass then the 125's.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 19
I don't know about the 225's, but generally if you want bass quantity Grado headphones aren't for you. I think that using an amp would help, though, so that may be something to consider.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 19
Better or more? Grado bass doesn't go too deep but I love it. Stays out of the way, but maintains presence because of the punch it has.

I haven't heard anything but SR60i and HF2, but I've read that as you go up the product line you get incrementally more bass. The 325is is supposed to have some kick to it, but the highs aren't for everyone.

On that note, the HF2 has bass. Though since its a collectible and of limited quantity, the price it fetches used rivals that of the RS1, and the RS1 is tough competition.

Also: Try flat pads. Kicks up the bass, kills the soundstage.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Carver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Learning Center - Build a Headphone Graph | HeadRoom Audio

If you compare the 125s and 225s, the bass response is almost exactly the same. I think Grados get their "rock" reputation from the mids and highs, where vocals and lead guitars do their thing, instead of the bass.

Those graphs aren't always so easy to read. And they can often tell quantity, but not quality.

For example, I'm pretty sure the Grado SR60i does not have more deep bass than basically every other Grado. And looking at the graphs, they'd be better than all of them too, with a flatter curve.

But hey, if graphs say it all then the OP needs some Skullcandy Titan:

graphCompare.php

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddymydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hows the bass in the sr225's? anyone got any experience with them, I hear they are great rock headphones. My son has the sr125 and they sound great except for the complete lack of Lows...

If SR125s don't have enough bass for you, you'd have to move up to SR325s or RS series to get a notable difference. Even then, the basic balance and sound signature will be the same. You could get flat pads from TTVJ or tape around the pads with electrical tape to get more bass though.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 19
It sounds like you have to spend more time with 'em. Grados initially seem bass-anemic, but with conditioning, they eventually sound perfect for most genres except dance and some hip-hop.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also: Try flat pads. Kicks up the bass, kills the soundstage.

Or turn the bowls around.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If SR125s don't have enough bass for you, you'd have to move up to SR325s or RS series to get a notable difference. Even then, the basic balance and sound signature will be the same. You could get flat pads from TTVJ or tape around the pads with electrical tape to get more bass though.

x2 - well said. If you want bass, for around the same price as the SR225, get the Denon AH-D2000 (discounted).

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For example, I'm pretty sure the Grado SR60i does not have more deep bass than basically every other Grado. And looking at the graphs, they'd be better than all of them too, with a flatter curve.

Are you referring to the sr60 graphs at headroom? The reason for the flatter response of the 60s vs the bigger brothers there is that the 60s were probably measured using comfy pads while the others were measured using bowls. Remember that only the sr60 came with comfies as stock pads before the "i"s came out. I don't think headroom re measured the "i" versions either. Maybe someone can PM Tyll to confirm if what I am saying here is correct.
beerchug.gif

May 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 19
IMO out of the normal production Grados, the SR225(i) and RS-1(i) are where the bass is most prominent.

May 6, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
IMO out of the normal production Grados, the SR225(i) and RS-1(i) are where the bass is most prominent.

Exactly, the SR225's bass is impactful, suited more for rock and metal music. The bass on the "i' series is better. 

May 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 19
yeah,the grado bass is very fun when it is there.  I like to EQ mine a little bit just to push the bass some more.   about adding an amp...amplification will improve them but not always in terms of bass,for example I don't like them so much coming out of my headroom amp because it is rather neutral sounding and they are simply not bassy enough for me,in the opposite side the highs are smoother and better with it so it is a trade off.  
considering that the 225 supposed to have even less bass than the RS1 they will probably go great with the flat pads instead of the usual bowls.  imo the RS1 with the flats are just too muddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back