Grado Wireless Series
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #63 of 164
Is the sound leakage reasonable on these?
The only other Grados I've owned were the SR60, and this seems to leak out a lot less sound than those. Subjectively (my "test" consisted of taking off the headphones and listening to them held at arm's length) I think in a library or something you could probably sit next to someone and play music at a low/moderate volume and they wouldn't be bothered.

Of course, as far as incoming sound, there's basically zero isolation.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #64 of 164
hi all,

New poster, old lurker here :)

Has anyone used this for phone calls? I know that's not the primary selling point of these, but mine seem to work horribly for this over bluetooth and I'm wondering if I got a bad pair or what.

They sound perfect with music both wired and over BT, but the mic seems almost non-functional. Just to rule out the phone call connection itself, I paired with my iPhone (and with my computer) and tried making a basic voice memo recording -- in both cases it was super tinny and full of dropouts in sound. I know BT can be flaky, but this was over the top bad.

I don't know how or if this is relevant, but after one such test with my Mac, I decided to listen to some music instead (over BT) and at first the sound of the music in the Grados was super tinny and terrible -- after a bit I think it switched BT profiles or something and the full, real sound of the music came in.

I find closed-back headsets are kind of weird and muffled to talk through on phone calls, so I was I was looking forward to the Grados doing double-duty on that front but disappointed to find it's not really possible.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #65 of 164
I kinda really want to try these.

Is the headphone active during wired use? As in, is it still being amplified by its own internals when wired, like the Mobius? I hope it isn't.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #66 of 164
hi all,

Has anyone used this for phone calls? I know that's not the primary selling point of these, but mine seem to work horribly for this over bluetooth and I'm wondering if I got a bad pair or what.

They sound perfect with music both wired and over BT, but the mic seems almost non-functional. Just to rule out the phone call connection itself, I paired with my iPhone (and with my computer) and tried making a basic voice memo recording -- in both cases it was super tinny and full of dropouts in sound. I know BT can be flaky, but this was over the top bad.

I don't know how or if this is relevant, but after one such test with my Mac, I decided to listen to some music instead (over BT) and at first the sound of the music in the Grados was super tinny and terrible -- after a bit I think it switched BT profiles or something and the full, real sound of the music came in.

I find closed-back headsets are kind of weird and muffled to talk through on phone calls, so I was I was looking forward to the Grados doing double-duty on that front but disappointed to find it's not really possible.

maybe this can fix your problem? at home at least:

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomP...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=vmoda+boompro+mic&psc=1

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #67 of 164
hi all,

My wife called my mobile a few days ago when I was listening with the Grados ... she sounded clear to me and I asked her if she could hear me OK and she confirmed she could.

Not a thorough test in any way but nothing to raise any concerns.

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #69 of 164
My wife called my mobile a few days ago when I was listening with the Grados ... she sounded clear to me and I asked her if she could hear me OK and she confirmed she could.

Not a thorough test in any way but nothing to raise any concerns.

Interesting -- comparable quality to a phone call done though a wired headset or just the regular phone without a headset? I ask because I'm trying to figure out if I have a defect in mine.

Thanks, looks like a nice mic -- but the issue is that I want to use it as a Bluetooth headset for calls. I have a wired inline mic already I can plug in, but would rather go wireless.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #71 of 164
So I just received the GW100 Grados wireless headphones that have SR225 drivers (apparently/unconfirmed). This was 100% impulse purchase. (The headphone hobby to me has all but moved to ease of use, and that means wireless is almost essential to me now.

My very first pair of Grados, and of course I plan on writing about them. What I will say is:

1. FINALLY a headphone that plays nice with my bluetooth transmitter. I FINALLY get Apt-X Low Latency to work! That means I finally can just use the Creative G6 to send spdif to the transmitter to a wireless headphone without it defaulting to the really bad proprietary Fast Stream codec which garbles and distorts with most of anything. Apt-X LL sounds fine for my needs, and I can do SBX with the G6.

2. Holy cow, for $250, the headphone feels and looks INCREDIBLY cheap. I mean, Grado, I dunno what you're thinking but aesthetically, this looks and feels like a sub $40 headphone. For $250, you'd think it'd look the part. It doesn't. Disappointment here, questionable design choice here.

3. I always heard Grados were uncomfortable, but even someone like me who takes comfort as #1 priority, I find the GW100 actually quite good on comfort. It's very light, the headband is basically like there is none, and the foam on ear pads are not much different from Portapros, just much bigger in size. I'm used to this style. Clamp is fine too. They're not Ultrasone HFI-15G levels of on ear perfection in comfort, but they're solid here.

4. Really, REEEEEALLY impressive bass presence, but not much actual impact. It's more like it's there, but you don't feel TOO much of it. Not to say it's not present. Like I said, it's actually pretty damn audible, just it ain't a basshead headphone. If this is typical Grado bass, I am a FAN.

5. The midrange is REAAALLY excellent. I think Grado mids are something that are worth investigating.

6. It's a sharp detail clarity. Not warm, not fluid. Sharp and tactile. Fast. I initially thought the GW100 sounded actually not very good. After messing with it, and changing from my phone to my PC, I dunno what prompted a change or if I adapted, but I'm loving the sound. It's different. But man, it's good. I'm actually upset that I missed so many years of Grado goodness. If this is any indication on the Grado sound, I'm absolutely interested in hearing what their other stuff sounds like.

7. Spacious dimensionality. Can't say actual soundstage, but in stereo, it is reallly nice.

8. Controls are incredibly simple if a bit too simple, and the headphone only connects to ONE device at a time.

9. The wired connection has REALLY clean, clear sound with absolutely stellar midrange. One problem: the bass is sucked out. So I don't know how effective wired mode will be without a bass eq to bring the bass back. It effectively makes the GW100 sound like another headphone practically all because of the bass. I'll have to test this more.

10. Initial impressions are mainly positive, aside from the obvious build quality and price. I think it would've been a must have at $150. $250... I dunno. But then, I dunno how it compares to Grados wired lineup. Sound-wise, I'm fine with the sound quality for $250. I mean, damn, it's infectious, clear as a bell and detailed. It really doesn't even sound like a wireless headphone to me. On sound alone, Grado, you have a new fan. ABSOLUTELY.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #72 of 164
Thanks for the impressions, @Mad Lust Envy. I find it particularly helpful since you are not already familiar with the Grado house sound. I don't have the GW100 (yet! but it's inevitable :D), but given your description of the bass, and some from others who have heard the GW100, I suspect the bass on the GW100 over Bluetooth is uniquely emphasized and not like that of the SR225e (which I admit I have never owned, but have had or currently own SR80e, SR325e, SR325i, Alessandro MS1e, MS2i).

I'd wager that the bass you hear from the GW100 wired is closer to the bass on the Prestige line and probably why others have panned Grado bass before.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #73 of 164
Thanks for sharing your impressions here MLE. I’ve been enjoying mine for a couple weeks. Just can’t beat open backs for music. I’m ok with the price on these. The sq makes them worth it.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #74 of 164
It's really weird. It's like I WANT to call it bassy in terms of how much it's there... but then you don't exactly feel it like you feel bassy headphone bass. So it's REALLY hard to say what type of bass you can expect from it. I wouldn't be surprised if people call it bass light, and others calling it bassy. It's confusing. But at the very least, I have to think we would all agree that it's not lacking in presence. It's no AD700 or well known bass deficient headphones. At least not in Bluetooth mode. Lol.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #75 of 164
It's really weird. It's like I WANT to call it bassy in terms of how much it's there... but then you don't exactly feel it like you feel bassy headphone bass. So it's REALLY hard to say what type of bass you can expect from it. I wouldn't be surprised if people call it bass light, and others calling it bassy. It's confusing.
Seems to vary quite a bit for me based on the track. On modern tracks with production sheen the bass is absolutely there and it slams pretty well. These pair very well streaming via Apple Music for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back