Grado Wireless Series
Oct 18, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #47 of 165
Got mine yesterday in the UK ... first impressions very good but I won't be able to wax as lyrical as some of the previous posts so no point trying.

Have emailed Grado UK about the case query as these will likely be coming to work with me so need protection.

One comment though, initial testing suggests a dramatic SQ improvement wired v wireless, although wireless really good, this using ALAC lossless on a Pioneer XDP-100R.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #49 of 165
After trying them for a few days I have to admit I'm slightly disappointed. These are actually really good for films and games with their really bassy sound signature but I'm not really too fond of them for music. They seem to lack quite a bit of detail in male vocals and tend to struggle with really busy songs where everything just mushes together resulting in this low clarity blob of noise. Female vocals can also get a bit sibilant depending on the singer, so some songs I just straight up skip to avoid my poor ears being punished. The bluetooth announcements (if ya can call them that, battery low, etc) are so insanely loud that it startles the hell out of me every single time. I'm not really used to bluetooth headphones so I'm not sure if that's the norm or not.

I'm debating whether to keep them or not as I do find them really enjoyable with games and films but I'd much rather change headphone when it comes to pretty much anything else.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #50 of 165
After trying them for a few days I have to admit I'm slightly disappointed. These are actually really good for films and games with their really bassy sound signature but I'm not really too fond of them for music. They seem to lack quite a bit of detail in male vocals and tend to struggle with really busy songs where everything just mushes together resulting in this low clarity blob of noise. Female vocals can also get a bit sibilant depending on the singer, so some songs I just straight up skip to avoid my poor ears being punished. The bluetooth announcements (if ya can call them that, battery low, etc) are so insanely loud that it startles the hell out of me every single time. I'm not really used to bluetooth headphones so I'm not sure if that's the norm or not.

I'm debating whether to keep them or not as I do find them really enjoyable with games and films but I'd much rather change headphone when it comes to pretty much anything else.

If this is true that the bluetooth announcements can not be attenuated and the headphones have a really bassy sound I will return mine when I receive them without even opening the box. There have been so many reviews of this product why are you the first person to state this?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #51 of 165
It's not a bad bassy sound or anything like that, it's got a nice satisfying punch to it, but it's as almost though the rest of the sound suffers a bit to provide that punch. I can understand why they have gone for this as when you are out and about bass tends to be the first part of the sound that suffers most, so you need to compensate for that. Though I definitely think you should try them anyway because I'm really picky when it comes to pretty much everything, I've gone through tons of mice, keyboards, headphones just to find the ones that click with my brain.

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #52 of 165
It's not a bad bassy sound or anything like that, it's got a nice satisfying punch to it, but it's as almost though the rest of the sound suffers a bit to provide that punch. I can understand why they have gone for this as when you are out and about bass tends to be the first part of the sound that suffers most, so you need to compensate for that. Though I definitely think you should try them anyway because I'm really picky when it comes to pretty much everything, I've gone through tons of mice, keyboards, headphones just to find the ones that click with my brain.
Thanks for the response. Of course bass is pleasant to listen to when it is natural and authentic. The human ear prefers bass to treble. The problem is many popular audio manufactures artificially color the music with overemphasized bass. Then it becomes noise, not music.

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #53 of 165
Thanks for the response. Of course bass is pleasant to listen to when it is natural and authentic. The human ear prefers bass to treble. The problem is many popular audio manufactures artificially color the music with overemphasized bass. Then it becomes noise, not music.

Yeah, I'm not sure you'll like these then.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #54 of 165
I got mine today. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I was surprised over the punchy bas. It is nice though to have that on a pair of Grado's because the overall clarity and soundstage doesn't seem to suffer. (to my ears!!!)
They do sound different (better?) compared with the SR80e. The connection is fine and after a walk outside in the windy weather, I am still happy with the open sound from this headphone. Yes, it bleeds and you can hear everything around you, but the sound is really nice. Right now I am testing how it is wired with a DAC. Listing to one of John Grado's preferences: Eric Clapton's Unplugged. The sound opens up and is clearer and less bassy when wired compared with the BT connection. Finally, I also tried the TTVJ deluxe pads, and they do something too and take away a bit of the "filter". However, they feel slightly more uncomfortable, which is a surprise to me as they are really nice on the GH2. Maybe the difference is just due to the clamping force of the new GW100s. Sure it will go away. I also have to get used to the physical buttons (no touch pad here), but I think I appreciate the no-nonsense: there is no app, and only three buttons, how hard can it be. However, "BT voice" is loud and annoying, and I am pretty sure that there will be no firmware updates for this. But that I can live with too.
In summary, I am quite satisfied with this headphone both in terms of build and sound quality. Very competitive price.:beyersmile:

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #55 of 165
Got mine today. First pair of Grados. You guys had me freaked out about piercing highs and no bass ... glad to hear my fears were overstated. While I wouldn't call them warm sounding, bass has plenty of punch and highs are not making my ears bleed so far... I've bought a lot of consumer level BT headphones and these have some pretty amazing sound for the price. I prefer these to the Mobius in comparison for pure music. These are a steal at $250 and punch above their price class. On a side note, can anyone recommend an iPhone EQ to add a little bass?

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #56 of 165
Question, does anyone think the headband is too large? I have these as small as they go and they still feel a bit loose. Is this a grado thing?

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #57 of 165
Got mine today. First pair of Grados. You guys had me freaked out about piercing highs and no bass ... glad to hear my fears were overstated. While I wouldn't call them warm sounding, bass has plenty of punch and highs are not making my ears bleed so far... I've bought a lot of consumer level BT headphones and these have some pretty amazing sound for the price. I prefer these to the Mobius in comparison for pure music. These are a steal at $250 and punch above their price class. On a side note, can anyone recommend an iPhone EQ to add a little bass?

That's high praise judging from what I read about Mobius! Glad to hear it...

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #58 of 165
Apple Computers have the aptX Bluetooth CODEC. Unfortunately iPads and iPhone do not. When playing my GW 100 with the iPhone how do I know which CODEC the phone is running. AAC is the higher fidelity one. SBC is low fidelity. I understand that the GW 100 is AAC capable.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #60 of 165
Apple Computers have the aptX Bluetooth CODEC. Unfortunately iPads and iPhone do not. When playing my GW 100 with the iPhone how do I know which CODEC the phone is running. AAC is the higher fidelity one. SBC is low fidelity. I understand that the GW 100 is AAC capable.
Your iPhone will use AAC by default. You can't actually check it but it will. Grado confirmed for me offline AAC is supported.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back