Grado vs. Singlepower
Mar 24, 2007 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ttol

100+ Head-Fier
First a little bit background:

Late last year I sent my RS1s back to Grado for a warranty repair, they were received by J. Grado on 12/06/2006. After a month I started emailing Grado asking how the repair was going, I sent my first email on 01/20/07 and when I got no answer I sent couple more on 02/16/07 and 02/25/07 to keep company for the first email. I finally got a reply on 03/05/07 stating that they had no record of receiving my headphones. After having a short panic attack I provided them with a tracking number showing that the RS1s were indeed delivered to J. Grado himself. Later the same day my RS1s were 'found' and are now (hopefully) waiting their turn to get repaired.

Then Singlepower, I made my order for standard Extreme on 02/02/07, after couple weeks on 02/15/07 I emailed them asking how the amp was coming along and if they could give an estimated delivery date as I was going to be out of town for a week. I got reply the next day saying the amp should take another 10 days or so to finish. Needless to say I have yet to receive the amp. I sent Singlepower another email on 03/13/07 asking for an updated delivery estimate followed by another email on 03/19/07 when the first email failed to return home. Now, 4 days later, it looks like the second email suffered a similar fate.

What we have here is an obvious race. Which one of these two companies will claim the crown of worst/slowest customer service and which one will score the second place..any bets?

Disclaimer: I don't mind long delivery times and understand that they are part of the hobby but when you give an estimated delivery date and then miss it by 2+ months it pissed me off.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Well I've heard good things about Mikhail (sp?) so Grado gets the vote here
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disclaimer: I don't mind long delivery times and understand that they are part of the hobby but when you give an estimated delivery date and then miss it by 2+ months it pissed me off.

I was one of the first 2-3 people to order a HeadAmp Aristaeus. Your post makes me laugh. You have no idea what it means to wait for an order.
biggrin.gif

Either way, just chill. John Grado and Mikhail (and Justin W. for that matter) are all great guys and you'll enjoy the fruits of their labour soon enough.

Still, it never hurts to nag them. Do it by phone. That gets better results.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 12
this is the only problem with small-scale capitalism. stuff gets overlooked. some people have AWESOME customer service experiences with these two companies, others not too much. Grado is overwhelmed with work lately and SinglePower has a tendency to work on more interesting amplifiers and pushing the other stuff off to the side for a little bit (from what i've gathered at least). both are good companies that are just a bit too overworked. with that said, Grado will get your headphones back first. they can't afford bad feedback, since they get all of their business from word-of-mouth advertising.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Wait and you shall be rewarded. Singlepower is swamped with high end custom jobs and new product development. Go with someting more off the rack if your patience is wearing thin. Mine was ordered 7 months ago and is about to get here...
IMG_4473.jpg

singlepower.jpg

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What we have here is an obvious race. Which one of these two companies will claim the crown of worst/slowest customer service and which one will score the second place..any bets?

the correct answer might be xin.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMG_4473.jpg

singlepower.jpg

plainface.gif

I have seen the light and it was a distinct shade of awesome.

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Singlepower has a track record of responding to e-mail slowly.

That is a fact!
I sent an email (request for custom built ES-1) to Mikhail (Singlepower) on February 1st, and still have not received a reply.
plainface.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait and you shall be rewarded. Singlepower is swamped with high end custom jobs and new product development. Go with someting more off the rack if your patience is wearing thin. Mine was ordered 7 months ago and is about to get here...

It's people like Sleestack: who insist on making Makhail spend so much time tinkering and figuring out ways of producing new forms of custom AWESOMENESS that slow down the works for us regular Joes looking for a new stock amp from Mikhail
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
Seriously, it's no wonder that Mikhail is slow being a one man shop who gets so many recommendations from Head-fi. Maybe he should think about expanding and hiring some people to help him make the stock amps, so that he can just focus on the major custom work. And even then, he could probably have an extra person or two. I don't know how often he checks this site, but it would be neat to hear what his plans for the company are....now that his work is held in such high regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back