Grado vs. Beyer sound signature in brief?
Oct 14, 2007 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

krc2

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious, especially about the mids.
In the most compact statement possible, can you articulate the differences?
orphsmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 19
You would have to name specific models, due to model variations.
If just by basic sound signatures -- get Grados for mids to highs, get Beyer for mids to lows.
Duh.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 19
In all honesty, between my DT-880's and my MS-1's (I know they're not reaaally Grado), I don't notice much of a difference at all. The Alessandro packs more of a punch. That's all I get out of it when I compare both side by side.

Though it could be that my amp just doesn't synergize well with my DT-880. I use a Xenos 1HA-EPC with it + my iPod line out

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 19
well i really love the sound of my DT880s but there is still a feeling of distance between the music and me. The spacing is great, sound detail and sounstage are fantastic, and mids and female vocals really shine with realism and depth. (I have a Cardas recabled set.)

However, there is still a feeling of distance from me and the music. I like my vocals and mids to wrap around my head, get right up in my face nice and close. The DT880s still make me feel like im in an audience, whereas I love the feel of having the music right next to me. Also, I love a musical set of cans over an overly analytical one
But i do love soundstage. Are there a set of Grados that can meet me there?

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 19
I am looking exactly for the same headphones you are krc2. That's why I am picking up a pair of SR225's. These are suppose to be nice and upfront which is what I want for listening to Tool. Tool records their music already laid back like 10 rows back so I want something that puts Maynard right up next to me. Hopefully the SR225 fits the bill here. I don't care about limited soundstage because this is rock baby! I already have the AD900's for acoustical, jazz, classical etc. which puts me some rows back. Now I need a purebred rock can.

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 19
The differences are many... sorry for the compactness.
You've got the impact thing as Mysteek says and then you've got the soundstage thing obviously.
Then there's the subtleties... but there would be little point in getting into those at this stage because I don't get the distance thing: you say you like the spacing *around* you head but then you want "the music" right next to you... how much nearer can "it" get without getting *in* your head? Care to explain what it is you want? Maybe your distance thing is not about where you hear the sound coming from but about how certain instruments sound? Care to explain and to tell us what kind of music we're talking about to being with?

Are there any other headphones you're familiar with for comparison?

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 19
DT880's are the cold side of neutral. Quiet bass, yet extends naturally all the way down. Accurate mids, but a bit cold. Treble spike, it makes the neutral presentation shift to bright, yet also adds detail. Wide sound stage, but not over the top such as the K701's.

SR225's, punchy bass, warm yet apparent mids that don't require focus to listen to, energetic yet natural treble section. Collapsed sound stage, but that can be a good thing depending on what you listen to.

I listen mainly to classic rock. The first thing I noticed when I switched to the SR225's from the DT880's was how much more the music came to my ears. With the DT880's, you had to focus and listen to the music to pick it apart. On the SR225's, it's presented to you on a platter and you don't have to maintain all the focus to hear all the fun.

DT880's do offer quite a bit more quality and resolution, but sometimes, a bit lower fi is better fi
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by krc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i really love the sound of my DT880s but there is still a feeling of distance between the music and me. The spacing is great, sound detail and sounstage are fantastic, and mids and female vocals really shine with realism and depth. (I have a Cardas recabled set.)

However, there is still a feeling of distance from me and the music. I like my vocals and mids to wrap around my head, get right up in my face nice and close. The DT880s still make me feel like im in an audience, whereas I love the feel of having the music right next to me. Also, I love a musical set of cans over an overly analytical one
But i do love soundstage. Are there a set of Grados that can meet me there?

For your soundstage issues, unfortunately only the GS-1000 offers anything of a wide soundstage. For the rest of your issues, a grado is what you need
wink.gif
I have experience with a lower end grado (Sr-80) the DT-880s, as well as a higher end grado (RS-2). Quite frankly, I like the RS-2's the most, followed by the beyers, followed by the SR-80s. Of course, for me, the soundstage is literally a non-issue, because I really don't care about the soundstage, big or small, it's all good. The grados are DEFINITELY the way to go for vocals and for a fun, musical can. The DT880s can be quite analytical, at least next to the grados. But for you, unless you can part with your beloved soundstage or splurge for the GS1000, you should stick with your beyers. You could get a tube amp for your Beyers to make them more fun, though
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 19
thanks for the awesome replies!

Redo, I know exactly what you mean about focus - i do find myself having to maintain a decent focus in order to listen to the DT880s.

Hfat: i think that larger soundstage may be what i have an issue with! I guess what im trying to get at is music really close in, and an open soundstage wont offer that possibility. Maybe I am trying to get the music in my head!
A lot of head-fiers seem to enjoy the feeling of sitting in an audience and listening to music as if it was a performance. I enjoy being 'wrapped' in the music and having it really close as opposed to re-creating a realistic soundstage.
On a bit more reflection I realized that a smaller sounstage may be what I want after all.

Now as for the SR225s, is that punchy bass extended as well? I like bass to reach quite low down. Are the the 325is a better option?

As for music, I listen to trance/electronica, drum and bass, vocal pop, some rock and acoustic. I enjoy vocal music, especially female vocals.

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 19
oh, and as for headphone comparisons, the only ones I can really reference are HD595s, AKG K701 and K271, and HD650 (with less experience)

I am thinking that maybe I should try the PK1s, perhaps they would provide the sound I am looking for, and provide some versatility as well

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Maybe I am trying to get the music in my head!

Have you tried listening in mono? Is that the kind of effect you want (except less pronounced maybe)?

Quote:

oh, and as for headphone comparisons, the only ones I can really reference are HD595s, AKG K701 and K271, and HD650 (with less experience)

Did you like the "closed headphone" effect with the K271? From what you're saying this might be what you need (except a different closed headphone might be better).

Grados wouldn't be my first recommendation based on my interpretation of the musical choices you stated.

EDIT: try a Sextett or maybe another old K240 if you get a chance.

Oct 15, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

A lot of head-fiers seem to enjoy the feeling of sitting in an audience and listening to music as if it was a performance. I enjoy being 'wrapped' in the music and having it really close as opposed to re-creating a realistic soundstage.
On a bit more reflection I realized that a smaller sounstage may be what I want after all.

Now as for the SR225s, is that punchy bass extended as well? I like bass to reach quite low down. Are the the 325is a better option?

As for music, I listen to trance/electronica, drum and bass, vocal pop, some rock and acoustic. I enjoy vocal music, especially female vocals.

I listen to similar stuff -- with my RS-1's I sometimes feel like I'm on-stage again, right in the middle of my old band.

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 19
This is going to be a bit of an odd comparison of the Beyerdynamic dt880 ($225-250) and the Grado SR60 ($69, haha), but here it goes. For a "compact statement" see the summary at the end.

The first thing I notice between the two is a severe lack of soundstage in the sr60's, and i think this tends to represent the Grado house sound for the lower models.

Second thing is that the highs don't seem to extend as high as the dt880s. Despite this, they seem a be ample in quantity to not sound veiled, and the lower-highs have plenty of detail (cymbals are pretty well detailed as well as other instruments in the 6-12kHz range). I don't find the sr60's harsh in any way at all compared to the dt880, but i love hearing those highs, so they're both right up my alley.

The mids to me seem to be comparable in regards to distorted guitar reproduction. Lower mids seem to be punchier on the sr60--drum kicks and fingering of basslines is a tad more apparent; I would attribute this to the Grado sound. There's a slightly different coloration of the mids by each, but this difference isn't night and day to me. Both are very clear, letting guitars come right through, though due to lack of soundstage on the SR60 the guitars tend to be in your face, while there is a bit more of a spatial awareness gained by the dt880. I noticed the OP said somewhere that he didn't like the distance between him and the music, and this lack of said distance is another attribute of the Grado sound.

Bass is very detailed and accurate on the dt880s, not accentuated beyond whatever is captured in the recording. The bass is slightly louder on the sr60's, and nearly as accurate in detail, though not in quantity if the dt880 is your preferred reference in bass (and it is for me, I think it does bass perfect).

So in summation: The dt880 is all about soundstage, great highs, great mids, accurate, non-accentuated bass (some might call this lean or quiet), and fantastic comfort. The SR60 has good highs, great mids, fairly good bass with regard to quality that is quite punchy and might be considered 'fun', but no soundstage and comfort is questionable for some (though I have no problem with them).

I wouldn't extrapolate any of my observations to cover the sound produced by the dt770 or dt990 given that each is known for very different things (770->bass, 990->U-shapedCurve). I'm not sure if a beyer "house sound" even exists, as it varies so much from model to model. However, I believe there are certain universal attributes apparent in most Grados, which I noted above (punchy midbass, those "grado mids(tm)")--this is the sole reason why I even bothered to write this mini-comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back