Grado velour wraps for bowls
Feb 1, 2006 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Having been using the Senn’s and AKG’s before finally getting a pair of Grado SR225’s the comfort transition was not immediate.
I was familiar with the sock post http://www.headwize.com/projects/sho...=grado_prj.htm so I thought I would work on a little mod .
Thought I’d post some pics of a current mod. These are velour wraps that I am developing to improve the comfort and sound of my sr225’s. The material is stretchable velour like fabric that is extremely comfortable.
Tried a few different materials and have found the stretchable velour the best, I’m currently sourcing a thinner material so that the sound is as close as possible to the original bowls but with long wearing comfort.
Speaking of comfort the phones literally disappear, which becomes extremely obvious once you’ve been wearing them for a while and then switch to the HD580, which I thought were comfortable to begin with, but their weight and size of the pad compared to Grados becomes annoying.
A happy coincidence is that I discovered that the velour wraps tighten the bass, increases dynamics and offers some isolation from ambient noise although I will listen more with the original bowls before totally committing myself.
Another side note is that I find the Grado sr225’s and the Senn HD580’s very close in sound but the sr225’s win over in bass extension and impact.
Depending on time I hope to have a bunch made up so that a few of you (anyone in Toronto) may give me some feed back.
I’ll keep you up to date

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Here are two more shots, the goal is to keep to inner bowl uncovered, although a complete wrap has a different sound signature.
Another version is to have the covering extend only to the outside of the outer cup without the wrap extending around the back.
They actually look much better than pictured.

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 5
so where do you get the velour? Those are modded 580's right? Nice!

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Update, after trying my wraps for a few weeks and with periods without the wraps I believe Grado got it right.
The wraps do make the Grados extremely comfortable, tighten the imaging and bass but robs the sound of a slight airiness, which I prefer.
I actually got accustomed to the raw pads after awhile, it’s just that if you are coming from the K501’s and HD580’s there is an adjustment to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back