Grado usage - a question
Jun 25, 2008 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mapstec

100+ Head-Fier
So here I am with my modded SR-80 (thanks to FeedMeTrance), and I am not exactly satisfied...

The woodied SR-80 actually sound surprisingly good, better then I expected...
but:

the headphone clamps so lightly that it looses most of the bass when it is just sitting on my head.
I don't have a big head, but I still do not seem to be able to settle the drivers / pads flush on my ears, they seem to flare out at the bottom and again I loose the seal (and the bass).

Has anyone else experienced this, and how did you overcome it?
Is there a way to fit a different head assembly?

Thanks for your answers

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Grados don't really have a seal anyways, as long as the driver grille is (just about) touching your ear you should be getting maximum sound.

As well,the SR860s/80s have the lightest bass of the Grado lineup. As such, I tape my bowls to improve the bass. Just do a search for "grado basshead mod" and you should find it.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a big head, but I still do not seem to be able to settle the drivers / pads flush on my ears, they seem to flare out at the bottom and again I loose the seal (and the bass).

Has anyone else experienced this, and how did you overcome it?
Is there a way to fit a different head assembly?

Thanks for your answers

I had this happen, and adjusted the pads further up on my ears, and the ears fell right into place inside the bowls -- now they are quite comfy.

Before I did this, I thought I had them adjusted properly. but they were pressing hard agianst the top of my ears, and leaving the bottom with an open space. Try sliding those rods up some more, and see if that does it for you. That little change made an amazing difference, and changed the cans into "keepers".

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 8
My preference with Grados is to bend the headband like so:
Bend the headband in just above the earcups till the earpads lay comfortably on the ear
Then flatten the top of the headband if the earpads are squeezing too tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back