Grado Upgraditis Strikes Again!
Mar 8, 2007 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

b1gben83

New Head-Fier
Being content with my sr60s for nearly 3 months, I resisted the urge to upgrade because my humble rig (4g ipod -> sr60/er4p -> ears) sounded great to me. Then finding Skylab legendary portable amps review peeked my curiosity of the Headphonia. I ordered early Feb. and received an interim amp until the latest amp is ready to ship (Robert from Headphonia is a great guy). Of course I had to get a ALO dock and fortunately I found a Vampire dock on the FS/FT forum very quickly.

My er4p's became er4s's with the impedance switch on the Headphonia and I was happy...but what about my beloved sr60's? They sounded great coming from the Headphonia, but of course I became curious about how much better the sr225's would sound. Enter the FS/FT forum and my new-to-me sr255's will be safely ensconced on my noggin early next week.

I am not an audiophile in the strictest sense of the word. I don't really care of about perfect sonic reproduction, I just know what sounds good to me and I'll pay a reasonable amount to get that sound. Like I told the sr225 seller, I hope these will be the last Grados I ever buy!
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gben83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope these will be the last Grados I ever buy!
tongue.gif

They won't be
rs1smile.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gben83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I told the sr225 seller, I hope these will be the last Grados I ever buy!
tongue.gif

And they could be, very easily. A few points I've experienced with the 225 when compared to the 60:

- equally bright. Less so than 80/125/325 but mostly on par with RS-1
- more bass, and better quality. The bass extends deeper and has a more visceral impact while performing tighter and faster than the SR60
- Honestly, the mids were about the same to me. Note that I used bowls for my SR60.
- Much more controlled upper-mids and treble. The sparkle of the SR60 is replaced by an airier upper signature. Clarity and detail are better and the smoothness of the highs (for a Grado) are much more enjoyable, especially for longer listening sessions.

I hope you're happy with the decision! I had an incredibly hard time parting with my SR225s... except that it was to fund an RS-1.

May ye not be tempted by the woody goodness.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Mar 8, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Sometimes I really hate this hobby.
frown.gif
I just did some quick calculations and realized I have saved nearly nothing on this work term due to my spending habits on audio equipment. Well, at least I will hold off buying the RS1 for a while...I hope for a long while...

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 10
the 225's were a great buy. congratulations!

i am sorry to tell you, though, that you will continue on the path, and before it's all said and done you will manage by hook or crook to get an rs1 or ps1.

this is your destiny. no matter if you swallowed the red pill or the blue. "there is no spoon" but there is another headphone upgrade in your future. in the meantime, you're gonna LOVE your new cans!!!

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Take my advice, if you gonna upgrade, go for best you can afford right away. I don't think going from SR60 to SR225 wont be that much of a difference. I would suggest going to RS1, you will actually save money in long run and wont see very small increments in SQ.

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Grats on getting the 225 they are nice, but like most people are saying, hell or high water you will probably upgrade again. I go the long run money saving route and go straight to the top.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the "support". I truly think that these will be the last Grados I buy due to external forces (i.e. wife). The sr225's look enough like the sr60's to not raise any suspicion that I bought yet another "frivolous" thing. Something metal or wooden, regardless of how beautiful or great sounding, would cause me weeks of apologies.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 10
As a sr60 owner, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on some sr225's for the very same reasons! My only concern is that it won't be a significant improvement (amped with a Xenos 1HA-EPC & ALO Bling Bling Line Out). Also I think you'll have to get an adapter to go from the 1/4" plug of the sr225 to your DAP - assuming that's what you'll be using them with.

Please keep us posted on your impressions and benefits (or lack thereof) of upgrading to the sr 225s.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back