Grado upgrade bug...
Feb 3, 2006 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

minasoko

New Head-Fier
About a month ago, I bought the Grado SR-60s. I totally love how they just give you that extra guitar bite, or whatever you might call it! So, I very much enjoy the Grado sound, but I realize that the SR-60 is just the entrance point.

What's my next logical step? My sources are pretty crappy, just iPods and a Mac Mini, sooooo yeah, that should probably be kept in mind. I'd say my budget is around $200 or so, but I guess I'm willing to go over... heheh. I'd like to mention that I really like the look of the MS-2s (I'm superficial, sue me)... should I just get those? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any guidance
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 21
Grado sweet spots:

MS1 $100
MS2(used) or SR225(new) $200
HF1 $250-$400
RS1 $600+

IMHO they dont absolutely need high$$$ amplification, although of course they all improve with it.
Im really enjoying my vintage PCDPs... clearly superior to any of my MP3 sources.

Garrett

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Grado sweet spots:

MS1 $100
MS2(used) or SR225(new) $200
HF1 $250-$400
RS1 $600+

IMHO they dont absolutely need high$$$ amplification, although of course they all improve with it.
Im really enjoying my vintage PCDPs... clearly superior to any of my MP3 sources.

Garrett

SR225s are best imo

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 21
@the OP:

I'm in the same position as you are: using a SR-60 and upgrading. I bought a pair of SR-225 from a Head-fier, and it should get here by tomorrow. I'll post some of my thoughts on the upgrade.

And on an off-note, I love how you can just change pads on the SR-60 and make it sound like a completely different pair of cans. I found that the flats don't mate too well with my tube amp, because the bass is over-emphasized, but they work great unamped out of my DAP, much better than bowls because of the tamed highs and better bass response. But the bowls, on the other hand, work much better with my tube amp. So I feel like I have two cans that I can use on two different circumstances. I'm beginning to love Grado phones more and more each day.

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 21
I'll go contrary to the other recommendations and tell you to skip the 225's, way too many weaknesses to make them a solid first choice. I'd recommend that you try and find a MS2/MS2i, 325i, or a HF1 if you can find one, second hand. You will be much more happy in the long run.

- augustwest

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm trying to fight the urge to get the 225s, but I'm weak and might not be able to hold out for much longer.

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 21
Hold out for a used MS2i if you can. They're immensely enjoyable, with a wider soundtage than the other Grados I auditioned.

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
I'm trying to fight the urge to get the 225s, but I'm weak and might not be able to hold out for much longer.

The power of Grado compels you…
very_evil_smiley.gif
rs1smile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 21
It sounds like you like guitar. For both acoustic and electric, I think the MS-2, MS-2i, or the SR325i is going to really sound amazing to you. Avoid the silver old SR325 tho, it's a bit shrill imho!

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I'll go contrary to the other recommendations and tell you to skip the 225's, way too many weaknesses to make them a solid first choice. I'd recommend that you try and find a MS2/MS2i, 325i, or a HF1 if you can find one, second hand. You will be much more happy in the long run.

- augustwest

1 more vote

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 21
I think I have a variant of that grado bug becuase its 3 days with my SR80s and I am already looking at 225s seriously. The reason I would go 225s is to stay closer to the grado sound. I may branch over to the alessandros later but thats later. Also, the 325i may be a slight upgrade but I don't like the idea of the slightly differrent sonics coming from a metal housing (and the fact that it is 325 improved - where the original 325 was regarded inferior to the 225s and thats why John revamped them). Its plastic or wood for me though; I will deal with the sonic change of the RS-1s becuase of the asthetics and I am very interested in the sounstage of the RS-1s. Yet I regress...I know my next two steps are ----->225---->RS-1. My grado bug is just gonna determine how fast I get there. 225s I can hear them a coming...hopefully I can hide my wallet from myself this weekend (just take my id out
biggrin.gif
). Go 225s!

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest

another vote here for the alessandro line. if you can find a used pair of ms2/ms2i, they'll present you with a better balanced sound than the sr225 (as much as i like them). the ms2 can be easily powered from your ipod so no worries there but of course amplification will make the cans that much better. if you don't want to spend that much, consider the ms1. they're my favorite in the lower end of the grado line up and doesn't have the harsh highs that the sr60/80 have.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 21
my first grado was the sr-60, then i moved to the sr225's. I absolutely love them, even though I'm using a Cmoy amp at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back