GRADO Underpowered Signs?
Jul 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ChronicLiar

New Head-Fier
My sr 325is sounds really thin with a smaller soundstage on an IPHONE 4s.
It's not like anyone listens to GRADOs at max volume (These headphones are loud enough  IMHO even plugged in directly) But I did put it at MAX volume to test out if it distorted on a smaller device...

And it did, but it was only with certain songs (The same songs that distort on my HD 558s)

Again, no one really listens at this level, as i'm sure you will go death, but I wanted to know if these are common signs of being underpowered or is it that my headphones are damaged?

And in general, I mean the distortion sounds.

When I first got the 325is out of the box they hit maximum volume with ZERO distortion... So why are they distorting a little bit now at maximum volumes?

I don't understand, And my HD 558s also show distortion at max volumes but this is a 50ohm headphone. (The aTH -m50 Absolutely no distortion)

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Did they "hit maximum volume with ZERO distortion" with your iPhone 4s--or some other device?

Also be aware that being able to achieve high volume levels does not necessarily tell you that a can is adequately powered.  For example the Pro 750 will get very loud with an unamped iPhone, but will also lose all its bass.

Grado's, on the other hand, are usually easy to drive

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 9
I just grabbed my Grado 325i's and my Wife's iPhone 4s and listened to a small selection of music at full volume and though the Grado didn't sound that great being driven by the iphone, there was zero distortion and the music was clean. I was listening to Usher, lady gaga, and some other pop and hip hop type stuff which includes a good amount of bass. (Wife's music by the way)

I believe the Grados can be ran off phones but they come alive when driven by a proper amp.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Nevermind, all the distortion and thin-ness is now gone.  

I was just used to the m50 sound signature wich sounds like complete crap to me now lol

It's really incredible how the human ears get used to a sound 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back