grado to beyer dt880?
Aug 30, 2003 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aphex944

500+ Head-Fier
First post here..

I have a set of SR-60s, and also AKG K240Ms. I've also listened to my friends Sennheiser HD265s. My favorite has got to be the SR-60s, they have, to me, the flattest frequency response of all(and best imaging). The downside to them is that they feel the least detailed of the 3. The 265s have INCREDIBLY muddy highs, I can't stand listening to them. My only complaint about the 240M's is that they roll off rather high, not much low end from them.

Basically, I'm looking for something like a cross between the SR-60s and 240Ms. I do like the semi-open design of the 240Ms, which is why I took an interest in the Beyer DT 880s. A few reviews I've read make them sound like the headphone for me. Very detailed, nothing overpowering. I really enjoy the warmness of my Grado's; if I could retain that feeling but with more accuracy, that'd be golden
smily_headphones1.gif

Any recommendations on what I should check out, and how the 880s stack up to what I want?

Aug 30, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi aphex944, sorry about the wallet.

We need some more info before an intelligent reply can be formulated:

What will you power these new cans with?
What is your source of music? Portable CD player, full-sized, MP3 player?
What is your budget?

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Oops, sorry for the lack of info, just realized I left all that out
smily_headphones1.gif

My sources are a Pioneer DV-414(replaced JRC chips with Burr Brown), and my computer with an M-Audio Sonica (mostly MPC and lossless).

As far as powering them, I am having my electronics friend build me a headphone amplifier. I have an amplifier he built me based on a National Semiconductor LM1876 chip, but unfortunately it has no headphone out.

Budget for the 'phones is $200-$300.

Aug 30, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 9
In that price range you have some incredible options. Here's the crem de la crem of them:

Sony CD3000 (used they would max out your budget.)
Beyer 880s will work since you are getting an amp to power them.
Any of the Grado 125/225/325 range. I think you max out the price/performance ratio at the 225s though, so be aware.

Since you like the Grado house sound, why not start up the ladder into their better stuff first. Maybe get a used 125 and see what you think. If you get the upgrade itch after that, a pair of 225s would suffice.

If you are looking for change to try out some new things and be adventurous, try the Beyers or Sonys. These are the best each company has to offer in the sane price range.

Aug 30, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 9
I own the cd3000, dt 880 and sr-225. I think the cd3000 is the best overall. I like the cd3000 better than rs-1's. The dt 880 is another superb headphone but it doesnt have the sony's bass fullness and low end dynamics.The sony can do anything the 880 can do, but with more authority. The dt 880 is a little more laid back sounding to me than the sony with a smooth, linear sound. The 225 has been a favorite of mine for years but I feel its now outclassed by the 3000 and 880. The sony and beyer are just more refined and open sounding. The grado and sony are very easy to power while the 880 is not. The 3000 and dt 880 are much more comfortable than the grado IMO. You can pick up the 225's for less $$$ though and for stated music preferances it would be an excellent buy.

Aug 30, 2003 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 9
let's not forget the Etymotic ER-4 series (sealing ear cannals phones).
and you won't hear a thing.. what was that..up to 25dB isolation?
that's great outdoors, or in a noisy house. just music in your head..
but:
1.some people don't like them. they are just not into this type of phones. they have very good bass, but you hear it, don't feel it.
and their soundstage is quite small, though details are insane.
2.some people can't get a good seal without custom earmolds, but it's about %10 of the people as far as i know. lacking a good seal, the phones just don't sound good.
3.there is also the known microphonic cable problem.. but people here have good ways to reduce that problem.

but those who DO like them (most people), find them true bliss!
top quality. they are just not comparable to the previous phones mentioned here because they are so different. do a search here and get some info if you like.

you can get them on eBay for ~$215 .

Aug 30, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by aphex944
First post here..

I have a set of SR-60s, and also AKG K240Ms. I've also listened to my friends Sennheiser HD265s. My favorite has got to be the SR-60s, they have, to me, the flattest frequency response of all(and best imaging). The downside to them is that they feel the least detailed of the 3. The 265s have INCREDIBLY muddy highs, I can't stand listening to them. My only complaint about the 240M's is that they roll off rather high, not much low end from them.

Basically, I'm looking for something like a cross between the SR-60s and 240Ms. I do like the semi-open design of the 240Ms, which is why I took an interest in the Beyer DT 880s. A few reviews I've read make them sound like the headphone for me. Very detailed, nothing overpowering. I really enjoy the warmness of my Grado's; if I could retain that feeling but with more accuracy, that'd be golden
smily_headphones1.gif

Any recommendations on what I should check out, and how the 880s stack up to what I want?

if you like Grado sound and contemplating getting dT880, why not try DT931?

Tonal balace between RS1 and DT931 was lot closer than DT880. DT931 offered the traits you are looking for and still not giving up warmth and they did not go completely *limp* as DT880 did.

BTW, which amp and source did you hear various headphones you've mentioned?

My experince with above 'fones were with Naim Headline/Naim cds 2. Most phones would sound completely different depending on what's driving 'em. So be sure you'll try 'em with your set up.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 9
aphex944: If you've already liked the K240M, why not try the K240S? It's a very nice, extended and not too expensive headphone with significantly more bass level and punch than the old K240M. Personally, I like it better than the DT880 both sound- and comfort-wise...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 9
aphex944,
choose your headphones considering that you're going to expend some more money (at least on cables..i don't know how good is that amplifier your friend's building for you)..at least if you're staying in head-fi
biggrin.gif

i guess you don't need isolation or portability (or you don't care
biggrin.gif
) if you're thinking of the DT880 after the grados. but try to think how much these features would be usefull for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back